Update: GVSU football is granted a win by a GLIAC committee

GVL / Robert Mathews

GVL / Robert Mathews

Bryce Derouin

The Grand Valley State University football team led Northern Michigan University 48-17 on the scoreboard when the game was officially called, but technically, it still had to be determined if it was a win.

Leading 48-17 with 12:55 left in the game, the first of many lightning strikes appeared. Due to lightning, the game was delayed at 9:26 Eastern Time, and both teams headed into the locker room.

After deliberation between GVSU athletic director Tim Selgo, the officials, and Northern Michigan’s coaching staff, the parties involves considered it would still be a half hour wait until after the last lightning strike, in addition to a 30-minute wait period for the players to warm-up. Therefore, Selgo decided it was best for all parties involved that the game be called. Under rule, it is the home athletic director who makes that decision.

The game was presented before GLAIC commissioner Dell Robinson and a committee. From there, they decided that the game would be considered a final, and would therefore result in a win for GVSU.

In the actual game itself, GVSU looked dominating once again at home, as the Lakers outscored Northern Michigan University 48-17.

With junior Heath Parling and sophomore running back Kirk Spencer out, it would be juniors Isiah Grimes and Michael Ratay stepping up to fill the voids.

Ratay led GVSU on the ground, carrying 18 times for 143 yards and two touchdowns. Grimes—in his fourth start—completed 13 of 22 passes for 240 yards and two touchdowns.

It didn’t take long for GVSU to get on the scoreboard.

After forcing a three-and-out on Northern Michigan’s first possession of the game, GVSU scored a touchdown on its first offensive drive, as Grimes would find tight end Joe Warner off the play-action pass in the back of the end zone for the touchdown on fourth down.

Both teams would go onto trade field goals before GVSU would score two touchdowns, courtesy of the ground game.

Senior running back Chris Robinson ran through a couple of arm tackles on his way to a 20-yard score, and then on the next Lakers drive, Ratay would run it in from 11 yards out for the first of his two touchdowns on the night.

As a team, GVSU finished with 309 rushing yards on 34 attempts, while limiting Northern Michigan to only 67 yards on the ground with 21 carries.

After Northern Michigan scored its first touchdown of the night, GVSU put together a 60-yard; seven play drive in 56 seconds. Freshman Joe Schipper capped off the drive, as he converted his second field goal of the night—a 22-yarder—as time expired in the half, giving the Lakers a 27-10 lead at halftime.

In the second half, the Lakers continued its dominance on the ground. Ratay’s 1-yard touchdown in the third quarter pushed GVSU’s lead to a comfortable 24 points.

Northern Michigan cut it to 17 after GVSU suffered a bad snap on a punt. Junior punter Chris Picano attempted to get the punt off, but it was blocked by the Wildcats in the end zone and resulted in a touchdown.

The Lakers got touchdowns courtesy of a 23-yard run by junior running back Ben Hutchins and a 15-yard pass from Grimes to junior tight end Joe Wirth.

After that, lightning was sighted and the game was officially delayed at 9:26.

Look for the full game recap in Monday’s edition of the Lanthorn.