News briefs 8/31/17

GV graduate chosen as director for Grand Haven charity foundation 

Holly Cole, a graduate of Grand Valley State University, will serve as the new director of grants and programs at the Grand Haven Area Community Foundation. 

The foundation offers many scholarships in its name to students from the areas of Grand Haven, Spring Lake, Ferrysburg, Allendale and Coopersville. According to its website, the foundation gives away more than $400,000 in grants every year.  

Grand Rapids to host Labor Day “bridge walk” 

A five-mile-long walk will take place in downtown Grand Rapids Monday, Sept. 4, for Labor Day. 

The tradition, started by former Grand Rapids Mayor George Heartwell, goes through seven of Grand Rapid’s bridges, which is the equivalent distance of the Mackinac Bridge.  

The walk will start at 10 a.m. on the Gillett Bridge and will finish at the Ah-Nab-Awen Park, where the West Michigan Labor Fest starts at 11 a.m.

Spotlight Productions announces movie showings for fall 2017 

Spotlight Productions has released its list of movies that will be shown in the Big Screen Theatre inside the Kirkhof Center. 

“Moonlight” will be shown from Monday, Aug. 28, to Thursday, Sept. 7. “Wonder Woman” will be shown from Friday, Sept. 8, to Thursday, Sept. 21. “Beauty and the Beast” will be shown from Friday, Sept. 22, to Thursday, Oct. 5. “Spider-Man: Homecoming” will be shown from Friday, Oct. 6, to Thursday, Oct. 19.

“Get Out” will be shown from Friday, Oct. 20, to Thursday, Nov. 2. “The Hitman’s Bodyguard” will be shown from Friday, Nov. 3, to Thursday, Nov. 16. “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” will be shown from Friday, Nov. 17, to Thursday, Nov. 30, and “The Santa Clause” will be shown from Friday, Dec. 1, to Thursday, Dec. 14.  

Showings are everyday at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. All movies are chosen by Spotlight Productions, but suggestions can be sent to [email protected].

Former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm to speak at female governors conference

The Grand Valley State University Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies will be hosting a first-of-its-kind “Conference of U.S. Women Governors,” inviting former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm to speak at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 9, in the Richard M. DeVos Center.  

At the conference, there will be several other former governors, including Janet Napolitano, Christine Whitman, Barbara Roberts and others.  GVSU has partnered with the National Governors Association for this conference. 

The two-day event begins Friday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m. in the L.V. Eberhard Center, where Whitman and Napolitano will speak on “leading change and forging common ground.” The event is free and open to the public.   

Intercultural Student Reception

Grand Valley State University’s Office of Multicultural Affairs will be putting on its annual Intercultural Student Reception Tuesday, Sept. 12, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

The event, which will take place in the Grand River Room of the Kirkhof Center, is intended to welcome both new and returning students. It is an opportunity for students to meet faculty and staff, mingle with their peers, explore various student organizations, and enjoy food and music. 

To add to the fun, there will also be a dance contest and prizes.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/oma.