Arts Briefs – PRINT ONLY

Fall Arts Celebration Faculty Artistry Gems

In the Louis Armstrong Theatre on Sept. 21 at 7:30 p.m. the Fall Arts Celebration will continue with a concert featuring Grand Valley State University faculty. First a faculty trio will perform Souvenir du Rigi by Franz Doppler. After, a piece composed by Professor Bill Ryan entitled Simple Lines will be performed by associate professor Pablo Mahave-Veglia. The performance will end with the Donald Sinta quartet with assistant professor Dan Graser playing the soprano saxophone.

Arts at Noon with Michael Lowenstern

The Arts at Noon series continues with a performance by Michael Lowenstern, a bass clarinetist, in the Cook-DeWitt Center on Sept. 23 at noon. Lowenstern has performed, recorded and toured as a soloist and with other ensembles. He describes his music as “ClassicoFunkTronica.” The event is free and open to the public.

GVSU ArtPrize Seven KickOff

With ArtPrize Seven beginning on Sept. 23, people are invited to celebrate the kickoff with GVSU. The Laker marching band, GVSU dance company and the WGVU/PBS nerd walk will gather at Rosa Parks Circle at 6:30 p.m. Led by Louie the Laker and President Thomas Haas, music and dancing will commence before the group walks to the Eberhard Center, where guests can view the GVSU ArtPrize entry by the GVSU department of art and design.

New Music Ensemble with Wellspring/Cori Terry & Dancers

At the Peter Martin Theatre in Grand Rapids, Grand Valley State University’s New Music Ensemble will perform the music for a performance by Wellsping/Cori Terry & Dancers. The performance will take place on Sept. 26 at 8 p.m. The New Music Ensemble is a nationally recognized group founded by professor Bill Ryan.

ArtPrize

The seventh annual ArtPrize begins on Sept. 23, and for three weeks, Grand Rapids becomes a showcase for art. Over the span of 19 days, the city will show off art from all over the world. Art can be submitted by anyone over the age of 18, and any space within the three-square-mile district can hold a submission. The public can vote on their favorite piece to help that entry get closer to winning a prize.