Arts Briefs

Arts at Noon: Chamber Orchestra Kremlin

The Arts at Noon series will continue with a performance by the Chamber Orchestra Kremlin. The orchestra was founded by Misha Rachlevsky and features youth string players from Russia. The group has performed in 24 countries across Europe, North America, South America and Asia. They have also produced over 30 CDs. The event will take place at noon on Oct. 14 in the Cook-DeWitt Center. The event is free and open to the public.

Concert Band Concert

At 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 14 in the Louis Armstrong Theater in the Performing Arts Center, GVSU’s concert band will perform their semester concert. The band will be conducted by professor Barry Martin. The event is free and open to the public.

Fall Arts Celebration: Poetry

The Fall Arts Celebration will complete the poetry portion of the series with a visit from poets Aimee Nezhukumatathil and Kwame Dawes at 7 p.m. on Oct. 15 in the Eberhard Center on the Pew Campus. Nezhukumatathil is the author of three poetry books, her book “Lucky Fish” won the Hoffer Grand Prize for Prose and Independent Books. Dawes is the author of “Bob Marley: Lyrical Genius” which is a study on the lyrics of Bob Marley.

Symphonic Wind Ensemble Concert

GVSU’s wind ensemble will perform their semester concert at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 15 in the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Performing Arts Center. The ensemble will be conducted by professor Kevin Tutt. The event is free and open to the public.

Symphony Orchestra Concert

At 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 16 in the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Performing Arts Center, lead by associate professor Henry Duitman GVSU’s orchestra will perform. They will be performing five pieces, including “Mars” from “The Planets” by Gustav Holst, “Symphony No. 88” by Joseph Haydn, “In the Hall of the Mountain King” by Edvard Grieg, “Hungarian Dance No. 6” by Johannes Brahms and “Night on Bald Mountain” by Modest Mussorgsky.