Art Briefs 2/16

‘Breaking Down Walls’ Mental Health Awareness Event

Honing in on the stigma attached to mental illness, the Grand Valley State University To Write Love On Her Arms club will host the event “Breaking Down Walls: Ending the Stigma of Mental Illness” Tuesday, Feb. 21, in the Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room.

Taking place from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m., the campus group will share facts and common myths about mental illness. In addition, group dialog will take place around these stigmas. 

The event takes an informative and personal side about several conditions such as depression, anxiety, suicide, addiction, self-harm and eating disorders. Any questions can be sent to the group at [email protected].

GVSU Surplus Store to hold open hours

Selling reused and repurposed items to students, faculty and the Grand Rapids community, the Grand Valley State University Surplus Store will hold open hours Wednesday, Feb. 22, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The items are sold in store during these open hours, and also are sold online for less than the original price. Anything from a Apple products, to furniture and even office supplies can be found at this sale.

General public without a GVSU parking pass can park in the Watson Lot, after notifying the attendant. Faculty, staff and students with the appropriate parking pass are permitted in all designated GVSU lots. Students without a pass are encouraged to park at the meters.

‘Excellence Series: Bias Incident Reporting Training’

Presented by members of Grand Valley State University’s Team Against Bias (TAB), the “Bias Incident Reporting Training” event Wednesday, Feb. 22, dives into the conversation on what to do in negative situations, the process and how to report them properly.

For anyone experiencing hate, harassment or abuse on campus, bias incident reporting acts as a way to remediate these concerns. This interactive training facilitates dialogue to encourage individuals understand free expression, and the impact on individuals or the community.  

Register at www.gvsu.edu/sprout to ensure a spot, or contact Human Resources at [email protected] with questions.

‘Three Minute Thesis’ competition at GVSU

Showing the more academic side of Grand Valley State University, the second annual “Three Minute Thesis” competition Wednesday, Feb. 22, featured graduate students presenting original research in merely three minutes.

The event is hosted by GVSU’s Graduate School and the Graduate Student Association, as students are invited to join and decide on a “People’s Choice” winner. From 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., the competition will take off at the Loosemore Auditorium. Contact [email protected] with questions.