Lubbers Stadium receives facility award

Sanda Vazgec

Peace Corps Info Session

The Peace Corps will hold an information session for anyone interested in gaining more knowledge about the organization. A Peace Corps recruiter will be at the Grand Rapids public library from 7 p.m. until 8 p.m. on July 13 to answer questions and take applications. There will also be returned Peace Corps members available to share their first-hand experiences and insights. For more information contact Carissa Patrone at [email protected].

Beer Exploration

The Grand Rapids Public Museum will partner with Brewery Viviant to offer a series of beer exploration classes. Each class aims to offer a scientific approach to brewing and experiencing beer. The first class will be held on July 19 at 6 p.m. and will focus on exploring the science behind the taste and aroma of different beer flavors. Attendees will learn to how to taste and identify flavors in the first class while tasting craft beer samples. The event will conclude with a traditional style beer tasting contest.

Leadership Award

On June 28, the Patricia B. Johnson Award for Community Leadership and Innovative Grant-making was awarded to Alan Steinman, director of Grand Valley’s Annis Water Resources Institute. The award recognizes individuals and organizations that demonstrate exceptional leadership and visionary work. Steinman’s work in freshwater research has had a significantly positive impact on the Muskegon community.

TRIO Treasure Hunt

Grand Valley State University’s TRIO Upward Bound program has provided hundreds of students from Grand Rapids Public Schools with programming to ensure a smooth transition into college. Students entering their junior year in high school participate in the program to gain tools, insight and strategies to prepare them for success. The five-week summer program includes many activities, one of which allows them to help plan activities for future participants. On July 1 participants spent time at the Grand Rapids Public Museum helping develop treasure hunts and educational programing, all while being able to experience the museum’s exhibits.

Lubbers Safety

GVSU’s Lubbers Stadium has been recognized for having exceptional safety. It is one of only 12 facilities in the nation to receive a Facility of Merit Award from the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security. The award will be presented on July 13 during a conference in Arizona. In recent years, average football game attendance has increased by 20 percent, and safety has been made a priority by local law enforcement, campus security, student employees and operations staff.