Art Briefs 2/23

GV Music Audition Day

For those interested in the Department of Music and Dance are invited to join the Music Audition Day Saturday, Feb. 25, to pursue a bachelor of music, music education, bachelor of arts in music, or a music minor. Applications must be submitted at least three weeks prior to the audition date requested.

Those interested in joining the major should visit www.gvsu.edu/music/audition for more information about the process. The auditions will be held at the Performing Arts Center from  9 a.m to 5 p.m. To ask any questions, call the Office of Music and Dance at (616) 331-3484.

‘To Sustain a Continent’ exhibition

In 2015, Grand Valley State University student Hannah Mico participated in a study abroad program partially funded through the GVSU Padnos International Center, which led to the creation of an exhibition featuring observations from South Africa.

Mico studied resource management in communities bordering the Kruger National Park in South Africa, and the wildlife around the area. In South Africa, she documented a spectrum of conditions and worldwide issues.

The exhibit, “To Sustain a Continent: An Exploration of South African Resource Management” will be featured at the Kirkhof Center Gallery until Wednesday, March 1, which is the last day to view the piece from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

‘Transfromation Tuesday’ LGBT rights event

Those interested in learning more about LGBT rights, the ‘Transformation Tuesday’ event held Tuesday, Feb. 28, will focus on LGBT medcine and health care. The event is from 9 p.m. to 10:15 p.m. located in the Grand Valley State University Kirkhof Center hosted by Alternative Breaks.

The purpose of all Transformation Tuesdays is to promote the education of social and environmental education, and all talks have different focuses from immigration to the importance of bees. This event features Dr. John, who specializes in transgender medicine. He will talk about the struggle and prejudices within the medical community. 

Transformation Tuesdays occur throughout the semester, and all students are invited to join regardless of past involvements with Alternative Breaks. To learn more about the event, contact Katie Henderson, vice president of member engagement, at [email protected].

‘Excellence Series: Bias Incident Reporting Training’

Presented by members of Grand Valley State University’s Team Against Bias (TAB), the “Bias Incident Reporting Training” event Tuesday, Feb. 28, dives into the conversation on what to do in negative situations, the process and how to report them properly.

For anyone experiencing hate, harassment or abuse on campus, bias incident reporting acts as a way to remediate these concerns. This interactive training facilitates dialogue to encourage individuals understand free expression, and the impact on individuals or the community. The event begins at 3:30 p.m located at the DeVos Center.

Register at www.gvsu.edu/sprout to ensure a spot, or contact Human Resources at [email protected] with questions.