News Briefs: Managing Income and Debt

Excellence Series: Media Training

The Grand Valley State University human resources department is sponsoring a session for faculty and staff from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. today in Room 2263 of the Kirkhof Center. The event is approved for PSS development credit.

Mary Eilleen Lyon, GVSU associate vice president for University Communications and Michele Coffill, GVSU associate director of publications, are presenting the workshop. They will show participants how to effectively communicate with members of the media. The event will include mock interviews.

To register, visit www.gvsu.edu/seminar. For more information, contact human resources at [email protected].

Community Reading Project Discussion

The Brooks College office of integrative learning and advising is hosting a community book discussion at 3 p.m. today in Room 2263 in the Kirkhof Center. The event is approved for LIB 100/LIB 201 students. Faculty, staff and community members are also encouraged to attend.

The discussion will focus on Sheri Fink’s novel Five Days at Memorial, an investigative journalism piece about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Fink is a physician and reporter. Her nonfiction writing has earned many awards and acclaim throughout the country.

For more information about the event, visit www.gvsu.edu/read or email [email protected] with any questions.

Inside Money: Managing Income and Debt

Grand Valley State University students are invited to an informational event about money management at 3:30 p.m. today in Room 1012 in Zumberge Hall.

Attendees will learn how to make a budget, understand student loan debt and use cash flow. A Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association – College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF) representative will present the workshop.

Empowering Women Together

As part of National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, the Grand Valley State University Iota Chapter of Delta Phi Lambda Sorority is hosting a domestic violence awareness event at 5:30 p.m. today in Room 2266 in the Kirkhof Center. The event is LIB 100 approved.

The event will focus on how violence can impact everyone, no matter their age or background. Both men and women can be victims, though statistics show that women are more likely to be abused. The sorority wants to empower women by building their confidence and teaching them self-defense tricks to stay safe.

For more information, contact Alyssa Ho at [email protected]. Find them on Twitter with the hashtag #BeEmpoweredBeYou.

Disability Awareness Fair

The Grand Valley State University disability advocates are putting on the Disability Awareness Fair starting at 6 p.m. Friday in the Pere Marquette Room of the Kirkhof Center. This event is part of Disability Awareness Month.

The event will focus on raising awareness about the talents students with disabilities have as well as the challenges they face in everyday life. Attendees will become aware of resources that can help support disabled students on campus.

For more information, visit www.orgsync.com/64011/chapter.