GV creates Laker Traditions Team

GVL / Robert Mathews
Student Senate

Robert Mathews

GVL / Robert Mathews Student Senate

Sarah Hillenbrand

The Grand Valley State University’s Office of Student Life is creating a group called the Laker Traditions Team that will help with coordinating campus-wide events throughout the year.

Applications are being accepted March 18-31, and many of the positions are paid and have the opportunity of earning internship credit.

“The team will help us further the ‘Laker for a Lifetime’ message of giving back to the university community and showing Laker Pride,” said Michelle Burke, director of student life. “When students plan events, they always are more successful than when staff alone plan campus events.”

The purpose of the Laker Traditions Team is to improve planning of events that bring the GVSU community together, engage students in leadership roles to increase student ownership and participation, maximize Student Life staff time and resources by serving as supervisors instead of events managers, and advance the Laker for a Lifetime initiative and Laker Weekends activities.

“In Student Life, we have been discussing options for several years about how to get students more involved with the planning and implementation of large campus events like Homecoming and Sibs & Kids Weekend,” Burke said. “Our office has been hiring HTM interns to help with Family Weekend and Presidents’ Ball for the last several years and we wanted to expand this idea.”

Along with supporting other specific Laker for a Lifetime events, the team will be helping with the traditional events that are held on campus every year. These include the Laker for a Lifetime Kickoff, Family Weekend, Homecoming, Battle of the Valleys, Sibs & Kids Weekend, Presidents’ Ball and Intercultural Festival. The Office of Student Life is also working to create a new event called Spring Tradition to end the year and celebrate another year at GVSU, build community, and de-stress before finals week.

The first step for students to be on the Laker Traditions Team is to apply through OrgSync by March 31, after which date the interviews will begin, Burke said. “The panel will include members of Student Senate and staff from Student Life. We are looking for students who have Laker Pride, want to work hard to create great campus traditions, and who are good collaborators to engage other students in activities. Many of the positions could qualify for internship credit in various majors,” she said.

Positions available for students are the overall chair, promotions/social media coordinator, volunteer coordinator, Laker Weekends coordinator, student event coordinators, and event volunteers. All positions except event volunteers are paid and have the opportunity to be an internship. Each coordinator will have a supervisor from Student Life.

Students who are looking for more information about the Laker Traditions Team can contact Michelle Burke. The application is available at https://orgsync.com/61065/forms/70376.