Exploring the future of sustainability

Sustainability is a core value at Grand Valley State University. Students, staff, faculty and visitors have the opportunity to explore sustainability every day on campus. How do those opportunities expand beyond our campus? What’s happening in the broader world around sustainability issues? How can students be prepared to deal with difficult and complex problems after graduation?

Students have the chance to get some answers to these questions during the Sustainability Mixer on Dec. 3. A panel of local professionals in the sustainability field will discuss their jobs, how they got there and what they did in school to help them along the way. This informal gathering will be a great opportunity for students to network with local professionals, gain real-world career advice and learn about job opportunities and professional pathways. Students are welcome to arrive early, at 6 p.m., for a casual prep session on how to navigate a networking event.

For many students, imagining a career after graduation is tough. Sustainability may seem like nothing more than a buzzword, but in reality it’s one of the top factors concerning companies today. Employers are looking for new hires that understand the concept, including the Triple Bottom Line model that takes environmental, social and economic sustainability into consideration. Whether you’re majoring in Natural Resources Management, Social Work or Political Science, sustainability is integral to your education and skill set.

The Sustainability Mixer will take place in the Charles W. Loosemore Forum room in the L. William Seidman Center on Dec. 3, from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Light snacks and refreshments will be served. This event is sponsored by The Office of Sustainability Practices, The Brooks Professional Series, Career Services, Environmental Studies, and Student Life. For more information, please email [email protected].