News Briefs: Emergency notification system test to take place March 4

Drew Howard

Emergency notification system test to take place March 4

The campus community is being warned in advance of an emergency notification system test scheduled to take place at noon on March 4.

The Office of Emergency Management will send out a GVSUAlert! emergency message to the university email addresses of students, faculty and staff. The emergency notification system test will also include an emergency website update and outdoor warning system.

Recipients of the emergency notification are being reminded to avoid taking action as it is just a test. The test will be postponed to the following day in the case of severe weather.

Those interested in signing up for text or voice messaging alerts can visit www.gvsu.edu/gvsualert.

Health forum to focus on the evolution of healthcare

A group of today’s leading health officials will gather to discuss the evolution of healthcare during the Health Forum of West Michigan on March 4.

Representatives from Spectrum Health, Metro Health Hospital and Mercy Health Saint Mary’s will serve as panelists to share their thoughts on the future of healthcare. Raymond Higbea, an assistant professor at Grand Valley State University, will moderate the panel.

The forum is set to take place from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. at the Loosemore Auditorium, located inside the DeVos Center. Free parking will be available in GVSU’s Seward Street parking ramp.

Engineering Saturday

The Grand Rapids Public Museum will be the host to a variety of engineering and robotic hands- on demonstrations during Engineering Saturday on March 5.

Grand Valley State University, city officials, the Kent County Road Commission and various engineering firms will all be present to help celebrate Engineering Saturday. Activities include a demonstration explaining the mixture of concrete, a learning exercise on wastewater treatment, as well as an underwater submersible and marine lab.

Engineering Saturday will take place from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the GRPM. The event is included with general admission and free to museum members.

Interfaith event to promote positive refugee narrative

A group of West Michigan interfaith organizations will promote a positive perspective on refugees coming into the U.S. during an event on March 8.

Officials from the City of Grand Rapids and representatives from several West Michigan interfaith organizations will hold a discussion concerning local refugee programs. The event will also feature testimonials from several refugees who have settled in West Michigan.

“Welcoming Refugees: Do Unto Others,” is free to the public and will take place at 7 p.m. at Cathedral Square, located in the Catholic Information Center in Grand Rapids (second floor).

Required registration for the event can be filled out at catholicinformationcenter.org.

Event to address stigmas of STD’s

Sexually transmitted diseases and the stigmas attached to them will be the point of focus during a LIB 100/201 approved event on March 3.

Hosted by Tender Loving Education, “Shedding Light On What’s Done in the Dark” will aim to educate attendees on different STD’s and the negative societal viewpoints associated with them.

The event is set to take place from 8:15 until 10 p.m. in Room 2215/2216 of the Kirkhof Center, located on Grand Valley State University’s Allendale Campus.

For more information about the event, send an email to [email protected].