Freshmen shine as GVSU swims past UIndy

GVL/Michael Dykstra
GVSU vs. Indianapolis Swim Meet.  Womens 200m freestyle.

GVL/Michael Dykstra

GVL/Michael Dykstra GVSU vs. Indianapolis Swim Meet. Womens’ 200m freestyle.

Jay Bushen

RESULTS

The Grand Valley State swimming and diving program’s postseason potential was on full display in the GVSU pool on Saturday against the University of Indianapolis.

Strong performances in the pool and on the diving board allowed the No. 10 GVSU women to outdistance No. 18 UIndy 165-75 while the No. 5 Laker men stayed hot with a 157-83 win over the No. 13 Greyhounds.

GVSU coach Andy Boyce said his program is looking good with just two home meets left on the regular season schedule.

“We’ve been training real hard since school started again,” Boyce said. “We had some people that were a little bit sick last week, we had one out for the meet that had the fever, but the rest were able to compete and compete well.”

The Laker women followed up a tough home loss to 2014 NCAA Division II runner-up Wayne State (206.5-93.5) with a bounce-back performance against the Greyhounds, winning 11 of 13 events.

Freshman standout Sam Postmus continued her impressive rookie campaign with a trio of individual victories, touching first in the 500 yard freestyle (5:19.30), 200 yard IM (2:09.62) and 1000 yard freestyle (10:43.74).

Junior diver Taylor Wiercinski had a big day for GVSU as well, notching a pair of victories on the 1- and 3-meter boards. Wiercinski posted scores of 288.45 and 275.77, respectively.

Emily Gallagher (100 yard breaststroke), Sarah Roeser (50 yard free), Olivia Schultz (200 yard free) and Elise Tatchell (100 yard butterfly) picked up individual wins and swam legs on first-place relay teams.

“The team dynamic this year has been really great. Everyone works hard and wants to be there,” said Schultz, a senior. “When you have all that going on — it makes it hard to have a bad time.”

GVSU’s 200 yard medley relay team (Gallagher, Tatchell, Meghan Falconer, Emily Eaton) clocked in first with a time of 1:49.97, and the 200 yard freestyle relay team (Eaton, Roeser, Schultz, Jennifer Priebe) earned GVSU 11 more points by winning the final women’s event.

“The relays are in a really good spot this year,” Schultz said. “I can’t wait until we’re tapered and rested at conference.”

On the men’s side, GVSU continued to perform like a team primed to win the GLIAC crown — and maybe more.

GVSU was already tabbed as one of the top teams in the nation before the addition of freshmen Metin Aydin and Gabriel Souza, but the pair of late additions seems to have the Lakers looking even faster.

Aydin secured individual wins in the 200 IM and 100 backstroke, while Souza set a freshman record in the 100 butterfly (48.84).

“They were just getting their feet wet last week,” Boyce said of Aydin and Souza. “Metin was sick this week, and for him to compete the way he did today was just excellent. Both guys are going to help us down the stretch at the conference championship and hopefully it can help us in nationals.

“They’re both going to help our relays.”

The 200 yard medley relay team (Aydin, Medo, Souza, Abbott) finished first in 1:31.92, while the 200 yard freestyle relay team (Abbott, Ferrero, Souza, Nathaniel Stoller) gave GVSU a meet-ending victory.

Also placing first individually were Nate Wagner (100 free), Gianni Ferrero (200 free), Danny Abbott (who bested teammate Milan Medo by one-tenth of a second in the 50 free), Ian Ellis (1 meter) and Tyler Keelean (3 meter).

Both teams return to the GVSU pool Saturday against Findlay at 1 p.m.

The GLIAC Championships take place from Feb. 11-14 at the Jenison Aquatics Center in Jenison, Mich.