News Briefs: Grand Valley Winds to perform

Drew Howard

Grand Valley Winds to perform at Arts at Noon concert series

The Grand Valley Winds music group is set to start the 38th season of the Grand Valley State University Arts at Noon concert series with a free performance on Jan. 27.

Composed of five music faculty members, the Grand Valley Winds will play three separate works during their Arts at Noon performance. These include Irving Fine’s “Partita for Wind Quintet,” Joseph Jongen’s “Preambule et Dances,” and György Ligeti’s “Six Bagatelles.”

Aside from performing music, the Grand Valley Winds is also devoted to serving the community. The group regularly hosts free clinics and recitals for public schools as well as instrument days for middle school and high school students.

The group’s performance is open to the public and will take place at noon in the Cook-DeWitt Center located on the Allendale Campus.

For more information about the Arts at Noon concert series, contact the Music and Dance Department at (616) 331-3484 or go to www.gvsu.edu/artsatnoon.

Upcoming Grand Valley Writers Series installment will include two faculty members

Two Grand Valley State University writing professors have been chosen to read and discuss their own pieces of work during the next installment of the Grand Valley Writers Series on Jan. 28.

Glenn Shaheen, assistant professor of writing, is the author of the poetry collections, “Predatory” and “Energy Corridor.” Shaheen was honored with the 2010 Agnes Lynch Starrett Prize for the former.

Oindrila Mukherjee, assistant professor of writing, is a former reporter for India’s oldest English-language newspaper, The Statesman. She has also written for publications such as Salon, Los Angeles Review of Books, the Greensboro Review, and the Silk Road Review, among others.

The event is set to take place from 7:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. in the Cook-Dewitt Center on the Allendale Campus.

For more information, contact Mukherjee at [email protected] or (616) 331-8034.

GV alumni to share advice on life post-graduation

A group of Grand Valley State University alumni will be returning to the university to share advice on life post-graduation during an event on Jan. 26.

“Life Beyond the Classroom” is hosted by the Office of Alumni Relations, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, the African American Alumni Association, as well as the Latino Alumni Chapter.

At the event, current GVSU students will have the opportunity to hear tips on how to adjust to life post-graduation from a panel of GVSU alumni, as well as strategies to prepare for a future career.

“Life Beyond the Classroom” will take place from 5:45 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Alumni House, located on the Allendale Campus. The beginning of the event will include an informal networking dinner from 5:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

To RSVP for the event, go to www.gvsu.edu/alumni/aapanel.

Retired philosophy professor dies

Thomas J. Cunningham, retired Grand Valley State University philosophy professor, died at the age of 88 on Jan. 20.

In addition to working at GVSU for 29 years, Cunningham also served in the Navy during WWII.

Educational event series will focus on privilege

The topic of privilege will be the point of focus during the next installment of the Transformation Tuesday series on Jan. 26.

Transformation Tuesday is an educational event series open to all students looking to learn more about social and environmental issues. Past installments have included simulations, discussions, speakers, documentaries, as well as debates.

The event is LIB 100/201 approved and will take place from 9 p.m. to 10:15 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center Grand River Room.

For more information about the event, contact Katie Henderson at [email protected].