Quick Hits

Lanthorn Sports

GVSU Quick Hits

By Lanthorn Sports ([email protected])

Grand Valley State announces 2019 football schedule

Grand Valley State finalized its 2019 football schedule, filling a previously vacant Nov. 2 date with another home game, totaling seven games at the historic Lubbers Stadium.

To fill the previous hole, the Lakers will host Great Lakes Valley Conference member William Jewell in a non-conference affair at 4 p.m. The 2019 campaign will also mark the second time in school history that GVSU will play seven regular season home games, the other coming in 2013, when the Lakers finished 12-3 and advanced to the NCAA Division II Semifinals. 

GVSU will open the 2019 season at home against Edinboro (Pa.) University at 7 p.m. on Sept. 7, as it will be the first ever matchup with the Scots. GVSU will then host Delta State the following week.

Other home games for the football team include Ashland on Oct. 5, Saginaw Valley State on Oct. 12, Davenport on Oct. 26, Wiliiam Jewell College on Nov. 2, and Wayne State on Nov. 16.

Allison Lipovsky named to Schutt Sports/NFCA Top 50 Player of the Year Watch List

Grand Valley State senior right handed pitcher Allison Lipovsky has been named to the Schutt Sports/NFCA Top 50 Player of the Yeat watch list, per a release from the National Fastpitch Coaches Association.

Lipovsky is one eight returners from the NFCA All-American First Team across 44 different programs and 21 different conferences. The top-25 finalists for the award will be announced on April 25.

Lipovsky had a dominant junior campaign with a 22-5 record and 0.81 ERA. By the end of the season, she led the nation with 11.3 strikeouts per seven innings, totaling 309 K’s to just 28 walks in her 191.0 innings last season

The Lakers will open their 2019 season at the Lewis Dome Tournament, heading to Rosemont, Ill. On Feb. 22-23 for four games in their first weekend of action.

GLIAC names 75 Laker student-athletes to All-Academic teams

Grand Valley State student athletes earned a combined 75 GLIAC All-Academic and All-Excellence honors for the 2018 fall sports season. A combined 873 student-athletes from across the conference were named to either the All-Academic or the All-Academic Excellence Team.

GLIAC All-Academic and All-Excellence teams are comprised of student-athletes who are an active member of the roster. The All-Academic Team features student-athletes who carry a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to 3.49 through the 2018 fall semester and the All-Academic Excellence Team is comprised of student-athletes with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 to 4.0 through the 2018 fall semester.

The GLIAC All-Academic team features 17 football players, 14 members of the cross country program, six women’s soccer players, three women’s tennis players and four volleyball players. 31 of those athletes were also featured on the All-Academic Excellence team.

VARSITY SCHEDULE

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Away, Thursday, Feb. 14, at 8 p.m., Saginaw Valley State

Away, Saturday, Feb. 16 at 6 p.m., Northwood

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Away, Thursday, Feb. 14, at 6 p.m., Saginaw Valley State

Away, Saturday, Feb. 16 at 4 p.m., Northwood

MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Home, Friday, Feb. 15, GVSU Tune-Up, Kelly Family Sports Center

MEN’S DII CLUB HOCKEY

Away, Friday, Feb. 15 at 10:30 p.m., Aquinas College, Van Andel Arena following the Griffins game

Home, Saturday, Feb. 16 at 9 p.m., Aquinas College, Senior Night