Art Briefs

‘It Gets Better’: DarkMatter poetry tour

In partnership with Queer and Trans People of Color at Grand Valley State University, the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center is bringing “DarkMatter,” a poetry group, to campus.

On April 16, the “It Gets Better” tour is designed to confront social and political issues relating to transgender and non-binary individuals.

DarkMatter is a South Asian artist collaboration comprised of Alok Vaid-Menon and Janani Balasubramanian. Primarily based in New York City, DarkMatter performs at sold-out venues such as La MaMa Experimental Theater, the Brooklyn Museum, Nuyorican Poets Café and the Asian American Writer’s Workshop.

The event is free to the public and will begin at 7 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center’s Thornapple Room. Recognized for its progressive activism, DarkMatter shares stories of navigating oppression and marginalization as transgender individuals.

For more information, contact [email protected] or [email protected].

20th annual Student Scholars Day

Student Scholars Day is an annual event that celebrates the scholarship and creative work performed by Grand Valley State University students. Presented by the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship, April 13 marks the 20th year for the showcase.

From 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the GVSU Mary Idema Pew Library, this event will showcase over 400 presentations with close to 600 presenters. Student Scholars Day presentations may be conducted as part of a course or as independent collaborations with faculty.

Contact [email protected] for more information.

Cancer Warriors support group at GV

Coping with cancer is more than dealing with medical treatments, but overcoming all of the challenges that come with the diagnosis. On April 15, the Grand Valley State University Cancer Warriors stands for patients, survivors, friends and family of those diagnosed.

The talks are facilitated by Ingrid Johnson, a cancer survivor and GVSU movement science faculty member, and Sue Sloop, a former cancer caregiver and health and wellness consultant.

Although the group involves engaging in conversation, those who attend are not required to share their personal experiences. Show up to receive support, or simply to find a personal coping mechanism.

The event is in Zumberge Hall Room 1012 from noon to 1 p.m., and registration is required to save a seat. Contact Human Resources for more information.

Queer and Trans 101: Ally Training

During this training, participants will learn about the concepts of gender and sexuality while considering the inequity that LGBT people face every day. The Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center sponsors the event, as several training opportunities are offered a semester.

On April 8, Grand Valley State University community members will examine heterosexual and cisgender privilege, as well as how allies can take action. Those interested can attend from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the LGBT Resource Center located in the Kirkhof Center.

Registration is required. For more information contact (616) 331-2530, or email [email protected].