Sec. of State candidates to visit GV

Audra Gamble

On Wednesday, Oct. 22 two candidates running to become Michigan’s Secretary of State will visit Grand Valley State University. 

The candidates will hold a forum on the second floor of the Eberhard Center at 6 p.m. on GVSU’s Pew Campus. Democratic candidate Godfrey Dillard and Libertarian candidate James Lewis will be the participants. 

“The Michigan Secretary of State race is especially important to students because it is so closely related to voter engagement” said Maddie Cleghorn, vice president for external relations on GVSU’s Student Senate. 

The candidates will introduce themselves and present their platforms. After their formal statements, there will be an opportunity for the audience to submit questions to be
asked through the moderator. The event is sponsored by the Michigan Election Coalition, GVSU’s Student Senate, the League of Women Voters and Engage Michigan.

For more information about Dillard or Lewis, visit www.godfreydillard.com or the Facebook page “James Lewis for Secretary of State.” 

The other candidates running for the position are current Secretary of State Ruth Johnson, Robert Gale and Jason Robert Gatties.

Questions about the event may be directed to Maddie Cleghorn at [email protected].