News Briefs: MIP Library is hosting Thomat Uthup at 1PM

Interfaith in the Middle East: Rays of Light in Darkness

Grand Valley State University’s Mary Idema Pew Library is hosting Thomas Uthup this afternoon at 1 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room.

Uthup founded Friends of UN Alliance of Civilizations to promote cultural diversity, interfaith relations, migrant integration and youth empowerment. His presentation will focus on the relationship between culture and society, with an emphasis on how religion affects politics.

For more information about the event, contact Leslye Allen at [email protected].

InclusiviTEA discussion

The Grand Valley State University Mary Idema Pew Library is offering students the chance to voice their opinions in a spiritually inclusive environment at 8 p.m. tonight in the Multipurpose Room. This event is open to LIB 100/LIB 201 students.

A panel of GVSU students will speak on topics such as religious discrimination, intolerance and stereotypes of various groups. They will focus on how people can create solutions to these problems.

For more information, contact Patrick Weisgerber at [email protected].

Start With Why: Creating a Collaborative Youth Leadership Project

Grand Valley State University students, faculty and staff are invited to a workshop Friday at 10 a.m. in Room 107C of the DeVos Center on the Pew Campus. This event is part of the Community As Classroom series.

The event will focus on teaching, learning and research. There will also be tips for how to create projects that can benefit the university and the community. Attendees will learn how to connect with diverse partners and break barriers to communication.

Registration is required. For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/community/classroom.

Video Conversations with Lakers Abroad

The Grand Valley State University Padnos International Center is presenting a study abroad discussion on Friday at 11 a.m. in the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning Alcove on the first floor. The event is LIB 100/LIB 201 approved.

Attendees will have the opportunity to talk with former Lakers who are currently studying or living abroad in places such as Jordan, Palestine and Oman. These students will focus on the religious tolerance in those countries. The event is part of the library’s current religious tolerance exhibit.

For more information, contact the Padnos International Center at [email protected] or (616) 331-3898.

GMAT workshop – verbal session

The Seidman College of Business is providing a free Graduate Management Admission Test preparatory session for students from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday in Room 203D of the DeVos Center on the Pew Campus. The second session will occur on Oct. 25.

The session is open to students who are potential applicants for the Seidman full-time integrated MBA or the traditional MBA, the MSA or MST program. Students may attend if they are currently enrolled or plan to enroll in 500-level foundation courses.

Students will learn about the verbal and written parts of the test, along with effective study methods. In the second session, students will learn how to develop their study program in quantitative analysis. It is recommended that participants attend both sessions, though it is not required.

To register, contact the business graduate office at (616) 331-7400.