New hall of science open for fall classes

GVL / Kevin Sielaff
President Thomas Haas speaks to the crowds gathered at the dedication of the Kindschi Hall of Science. Grand Valley celebrates the P. Douglas Kindschi Hall of Science with a dedication ceremony Friday, August 28th, 2015. The dedication recognized both Grand Valley and state officials that made the realization of this building possible.

Kevin Sielaff

GVL / Kevin Sielaff President Thomas Haas speaks to the crowds gathered at the dedication of the Kindschi Hall of Science. Grand Valley celebrates the P. Douglas Kindschi Hall of Science with a dedication ceremony Friday, August 28th, 2015. The dedication recognized both Grand Valley and state officials that made the realization of this building possible.

Katherine West

Past, present and future students, along with faculty and supporters of Grand Valley State University were united at the dedication of the new P. Douglas Kindschi Hall of Science on Aug. 28.

GVSU President Thomas J. Haas began the dedication by expressing his enthusiasm for the newest addition to campus.

“As a scientist myself, I couldn’t be more excited for this,” Haas said.

Neil MacDonald, biology department chair, noted that he has been “waiting for this event for years.” MacDonald was one of the people who helped design the building to suit needs and he is confident that it will do that and everything more.

With a growing number of students studying in the science and health care fields, study and lab space was dwindling. This hall will provide additional spaces while housing the biology and movement science departments, MacDonald said.

The new hall will also provide numerous job, research and study opportunities for current students and for students after graduation.

“I know just talking to some colleagues recently here in West Michigan that there will be increasing needs for primary care services at our providers for instance,” Haas said, “I know that the PA and the nursing practice and PT and others medical imaging can all be provided by starting here.”

Michigan Senate Majority Leader Arlan Meekhof, state representatives Roger Victory and Adam Zemke, GVSU Provost Gayle Davis, student senate President Maddie Cleghorn and Convocation speaker Dean Kamin reflected on the value of a GVSU education. They all agreed that the new hall will greatly expand the opportunities that any Laker, science major or not, will have at their disposal.

Additionally, P. Douglas Kindschi reflected on the honor of having a building named after him. He arrived at GVSU nearly 40 years ago and has since then been a very influential figure in the university’s development and progress. During his time at GVSU, he served as dean of math and science and is remembered for the many programs he created, such as the Science Olympiad for middle and high school students. Many of the speakers mentioned that one of his most memorable moments on campus was when he brought a live elephant into the Fieldhouse Arena to lead a parade.

Kindschi, his wife Barbara and the state of Michigan were among 400 donors that made this building possible. The state government donated $30 million of the $55 million that this project cost. Barbara Kindschi’s contributions have been commemorated in the hall through the Barbara Kindschi greenhouses.

At the dedication, the Kindschis revealed the building inscription alongside their family members and Haas. The dedication ceremony ended with a ceremonial ribbon cutting and a building tour.