NAP event aims to help fight off procrastination

Kari Norton

Are you the type of student that procrastinates until the very last possible moment? Grand Valley State University’s Frederik Meijer Center for Writing plans to help students break that habit with it’s Night Against Procrastination.

NAP, the Writing Center’s lock-in event will take over Lake Ontario Hall tonight from 8 p.m. through tomorrow at 8 a.m. to encourage productivity before the end of semester exam cram.

The Writing Center’s Interim Director Patrick Johnson brought the idea for the anti-procrastination all-nighter to GVSU last year, inspired by an even held at a German university in 2010.

“The Writing Center at European University Viadrina in Frankfurt Germany hosted long night events for various programs and projects, but when students began asking for writing center support all night during an event, the Long Night Against Procrastination was born,” Johnson said.

Johnson said he met one of the original organizers of the event when he was at Washington State University and she encouraged other schools to join in.

“I loved the idea and brought it up with my staff and everything took off from there,” Johnson said.

Staff will be available to help with papers and such throughout the course of the evening. Optional study breaks will also be offered, such as games, activities, desk yoga exercises and night walks to get coffee.

Students that plan on sleeping at the event should bring their own pillows and sleeping bags and overnight parking will be available in Lot M, but ticketing will begin again at 8 a.m. on Friday.

People who choose to participate will be encouraged to share their experiences on Twitter with #NAPAGVSU, or look for the even on Facebook.