Art Briefs

Open Mic Night

Spotlight Productions will host its monthly Open Mic Night at 6 p.m. on March 18 in Area 51 of the Kirkhof Center. Anyone is welcome to come and show off whatever talent they may have.

There will be brownies available to attendees. The event is free and open to the public.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/studentlife.

Venderbush Leadership Connection at GV

The Venderbush Leadership Connection is an event focused on the importance of ethical leadership in the working world. On March 23, students at Grand Valley State University have the chance to engage in meaningful conversation with one of three speakers.

From 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., students will learn the skills that real employers look for in college graduates, and ethical decision-making and how individual philosophy affects leadership.

The event takes place in the Multipurpose Room of the Mary Idema Pew Library. Reservations will be accepted until March 21.

Refreshments will be served at the event. In addition, the incoming class for Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society will be recognized.

John Ball Zoo opening

For those who enjoy wildlife and are looking for low-cost entertainment, the John Ball Zoo is open for the first week of the season this week.

The zoo will be open every day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and adult tickets are currently $7. For more information, visit www.jbzoo.org.

The chocolate history of Italy

For Grand Valley State University’s annual Intercultural Festival, the Italian Club is hosting an event called “The History of Chocolate in Italy” featuring Francine Segan.

On March 23, students can learn how chocolate goes from bean to bar, as they will be guided through a series of taste tests with various types of fine chocolates. From 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., this event will take place in the Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room.

The workshop will explore how decadent 17th Century European high society experienced chocolate, and how candy is made today.

Attendees will be provided with chocolate. The event is LIB 100 and 201 approved.

Free workshop on Shakespeare auditions

On March 25, the Louis Armstrong Theatre will feature an event from noon to 3 p.m. with speaker Katherine Mayberry.

Students interested in auditioning for the Fall 2016 Shakespeare Festival production “Measure by Measure,” which is directed by Roger Ellis, can sign up at the Louis Armstrong Theatre box office. The dates for the audition are on April 3 and April 4.

Both of the events are located in Performing Arts Center Room 1506. Sign up at the box office, by calling (616) 331-2300, or by emailing [email protected].

The workshop is free, but space is limited.