News Briefs: Professor will discuss men’s role in feminism

Drew Howard

Professor will discuss men’s role in feminism

Donald Mitchell, assistant professor of higher education at Grand Valley State University, will give a presentation about how men can benefit the feminist cause on April 14.

Hosted by the Women’s Commission, Mitchell’s presentation will discuss where men fit into the bigger issue of feminism, and why they too should consider themselves feminists.

“Conscious Conversation: Men’s Role in Feminism” will take place from noon until 1 p.m. in Room 1142 of the Kirkhof Center.

For more information about the event, contact the Women’s Commission at [email protected].

University Development team hires new director of endowed and planned giving

Gina Bovee has been hired as the new director of endowed and planned giving for the University Development team at Grand Valley State University.

As director of endowed and planned giving, Bovee will help raise GVSU’s endowed funds by working directly with donors in the university’s Gillett Society.

Bovee has previous experience working for the Grand Rapids Community Foundation and the Fremont Area Community Foundation. She is also a member of the Association of Fundraising Professional and the National Partnership for Philanthropic Planning.

Hauenstein summit will provide historical context to today’s political system

The Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies at Grand Valley State University will host a three-day summit April 15-17 focusing on the divide between progressives and conservatives around the world.

The summit will feature more than a dozen experts and political thinkers leading conversation in nine different sessions. Speakers will explore possible areas of common ground between progressives and conservatives both today and in the past.

“Progressive/Conservative: A Common Ground Summit,” is free to the public and will take place in the Loosemore Auditorium, located inside the DeVos Center.

For the summit’s full schedule and how to RSVP, go to www.hauensteincenter.org/progcon.

Dance troupe to raise money for YWCA with three performances

Grand Valley State University’s dance troupe will be supporting the YWCA of West Michigan through three dance performances on April 15 and 16.

The GVSU dance troupe will perform at the Allendale High School auditorium at 7 p.m. on April 15 and at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. on April 16.

Tickets cost $5 and can be paid for at the door or the 20/20 Desk in the Kirkhof Center. Children under the age of 12 are admitted for free.

Attendees are also encouraged to bring donation items for the YWCA. Suggested donation items include personal care items (deodorant, shampoo, toothbrushes, combs, etc.), kitchen items, baby supplies, non-perishable foods, board games and more.

For more information about the YWCA of West Michigan, go to www.ywcawcmi.org.

University Christian Outreach to host lip sync battle

University Christian Outreach at Grand Valley State University will host a lip sync battle and talent show open to the entire campus community on April 15.

In addition to the lip sync battle, the event will also feature acts involving art, beauty and humor.

“UCOffee: Lips Don’t Lie” will take place at 7:30 p.m. in the Cook-Dewitt Center, located on GVSU’s Allendale Campus.

Those interested in performing in the lip sync battle or showcasing a special talent should contact Vince Zahm at [email protected] or Jamesey Bergler at [email protected].