Arts at a Glance

Headline: Arts at a Glance

Arts at Noon

The weekly GVSU event Arts at Noon welcomes the Grand Rapids on Feb. 4 in the Cook-DeWitt Center. The symphony performs annually at this weekly event. For this performance, the group of musicians will be conducted by associate conductor John Varineau. The symphony will perform “Serenade in E Major” by Dvorak and Martinu’s “Nonet.” The event is open to public and is free to attend. For more information, call (616) 331-3484. 

Presidents’ Ball Preparation

On Feb. 4, the GVSU Swing Dance Club will hold a workshop in the Pere Marquette Room in the Kirkhof Center to prepare students and faculty members to jive at the Presidents’ Ball. The free lessons will instruct individuals how to properly dance for “The Great Gatsby” theme. The Presidents’ Ball is on Feb. 6 at DeVos Place. Tickets for dinner and the dance are $30 and $15 for just the dance. Tickets are available at the 20/20 desk. For more information on dance lessons, email [email protected]

International Auto Show

The DeVos Place hosts the 17th Annual Michigan International Auto Show Feb. 5 through 8. Over 35 car manufacturers will be present at the event displaying more than 300 new vehicles. The show will feature recently released and soon to be released vehicles. High-end car manufacturers such as Bentley, Rolls Royce and Lamborghini will show off vehicles worth more than $100,000. Admission is $10 for adults, $4 for children ages 6-14 and children under 5 years old are free. For more information on the event and for hours, visit www.GRAutoshow.com or call (616) 328-6550. 

Sunday Classical Concert Series

Each week, the Grand Rapids Art Museum welcomes various classical musicians to perform alongside their exhibits. On Feb. 8 they welcome the Spektral Quartet. The Quartet formed in 2010 in Chicago. The group has two full-length albums and has worked with composers such as David Lang, Augusta Read and Shulamit Ran. The Quartet is also the ensemble-in-residence at the University of Chicago. Their concert will begin at 2 p.m. at the GRAM. For more information on the concert series, visit www.artmuseumgr.org/programevents/sunday-classical-concert-series/

“Swan Lake”

Take a journey alongside Princess Odette as she deals with a spell casted by sorcerer Von Rothbart. The Grand Rapids Ballet presents Tchaikovsky’s classic tale “Swan Lake” at the Peter Martin Wege Theatre, located on Ellsworth Street SW in downtown Grand Rapids. Performances begin Feb. 6 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets range in price from $12-21. The dance company will perform the piece until Feb. 15. For more information on tickets and performance times, visit www.grballet.com or call (616) 454-4771.

“Reasons to Be Pretty”

A group of GVSU students have come together to prepare Neil LaBute’s “Reasons to Be Pretty.” The show that is scheduled to debut on Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m. stars GVSU students Caleb Baird, Chad Marriot, Monica Longstreet and Mara Spears.  The play is directed by theatre student Cody Robinson. “Reasons to Be Pretty” is a tale that is relatable to many audiences.  The plot follows the four characters who are consumed by physical appearances and fitting into the norm.  Tickets for the performance are now on sale and can be purchased at the GVSU box office located in the performing arts center. There will be four chances to see the play with performances on Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m., Feb. 14 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and on Feb. 15 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $6 in advanced and $7 the day of the show. For more information visit www.gvsu.edu/theatre.