09/08/16 news briefs

Auditions for Good Kids

Open auditions for the play “Good Kids” will be held Sept. 13 from 2:15 p.m. until 4:15 p.m. and Sept. 14 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The casting is open to all students regardless of gender, race or area of study and opportunities for performance or backstage duties are available. There will be seven public performances and academic credit is available for participants. To sign up for an audition students may visit the Louis Armstrong Theatre box office, call (616) 331-2300 or email [email protected].

Doris Rucks memorial service

A memorial service will be held Sept. 9 for retired faculty member Doris Rucks. The service will begin at 1 p.m. at Muskegon Community College Collegiate Hall. Rucks died Aug. 30 at the age of 92. She served as an associate professor of sociology and worked at Grand Valley State University from 1987-99 and pioneered the Women’s Studies program at GVSU.

She founded the Coalition for Community Development, which is also the parent organization of Friends of the Muskegon Heights Library, which runs programs for children. Rucks was honored by the Positive Black Women organization and received the organization’s first PBW Trailblazer Award.

Fall Arts Celebration

The Fall Arts Celebration is set to begin Sept. 12 and will feature a performance by the Ying Quartet. The group will be performing “The Early Viennese Chamber Music of Beethoven” in the Cook-Dewitt Center at 7:30 p.m. The program will open with performing “String Quartet Opus 18 No. 6.” GVSU music faculty including: Arthur Campbell, Danny Phipps, Richard Britsch and Michael Hovnanian will join to perform “Septet in E-flat major, Opus 20.” The Ying Quartet is known worldwide and has performed in venues such as the White house, Carnegie Hall and Sydney Opera House. All Fall Arts Celebration events are open to the public and free of charge.

Israel/Palestine Discussion

The Kaufman Interfaith Institute and the Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies will sponsor a guided dialogue titled “Can We Find Common Ground Between Israel and Palestine?”

The discussion will take place Sept. 8 in the Loosemoore Auditorium located on Grand Valley State University’s Pew Campus. The event will feature a discussion between Rabbi Donniel Hartman and Imam Adulah Antepli about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Topics such as world political conflicts and Middle East land ownership disputes will be covered.

Seating is limited. Those interested in attending may register at www.gvsu.edu/interfaith. The event is LIB 100 approved.

Romania Study Abroad Session

The Padnos International Center will hold an informational session about studying abroad in Romania Sept. 9. The session will begin at 2 p.m. in Lake Ontario Hall Room 130. Attendees will learn about Babes-Bolyai University located in the city of Cluj-Napoca in the heart of Transylvania. The university is one of the oldest large, public universities in the country and embraces multiculturalism as one of its core values. Students will learn about the country, courses available and financial resources.

Volunteer Fair

The Nonprofit Volunteer and Internship Fair will be held Thursday, Sept. 8 from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m. in the Henry Hall Atrium. Students looking for volunteering opportunities or internships are encouraged to attend, as there will be over 50 agencies present.

Students are not required to wear business attire or bring resumes but are encouraged to if looking for a serious internship opportunity. Students who need community service hours for class or their student organization or those looking to be more involved in the Grand Rapids community are encouraged to attend. Contact [email protected] for more information.