Arts Briefs PRINT ONLY

Kate Branum

Council for Exceptional Children

Grand Valley State University will be hosting a meeting facilitated by the Council for Exceptional Children Monday, Oct. 10 from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. in the Kirkhof Center.

The meeting is geared toward future teachers, speech pathologists, occupational therapists and psychologists. All participants will be able to sign up for volunteer opportunities offered through the CEC, including a pen-pal program.

Attendees will be able network with the staff from the CEC and receive pointers from professional speakers that present topics including: special education in the classroom and resource rooms, administration, speech pathology and creating individualized education plans.

Study Abroad Fair

The Padnos International Center at Grand Valley State University will be holding its largest event of the year, the Study Abroad Fair, Tuesday, Oct. 11 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Kirkhof Center Room 2250.

Participants will have a chance to browse the wide range of study abroad programs offered at GVSU to find to one that best suits their major.

Students who have already studied abroad will be present to talk about their experiences and faculty program directors will be available to answer any questions about each individual program.

First Year Leadership Experience

The First Year Leadership Experience at Grand Valley State University is reaching out to all first-year and transfer students with the first of six group meetings Tuesday, Oct. 11 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in Kirkhof Center Room 2263.

FYLE is designed to assist new leaders develop basic leadership skills and learn about all of the leadership opportunities at GVSU.

All students who are interested in holding leadership roles in the future are highly encouraged to be a part of this program.

A series of interactive activities and discussions led by upperclassman student leaders and staff across campus will be included in each meeting.

Meetings will be held weekly on Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. in the same room. In order to be a FYLE graduate, attendance for all sessions is mandatory.

Excellence Series: Projecting a Professional Presence

Communications professional Rob Pocock will be visiting Grand Valley State University Tuesday, Oct. 11 to deliver a presentation on proper and business-like communication. The lecture will be from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. in Kirkhof Center Room 2270.

Pocock will emphasize the importance of the words used in conversations, as well tone and body language.

Participants will have an opportunity to complete a number of hands-on activities to add power to their interpersonal interactions.