News Briefs: Open registration for GVSU Shakespeare’s Will Power summer camp for kids

Open registration for GV Shakespeare’s Will Power summer camp for kids

Parents can now register their children for the second session of the Will Power Summer Camp, which goes from July 20-24 and is held in the Grand Valley State University Performing Arts Center.

Teaching artists from Pigeon Creek Shakespeare Company will focus on the Shakespeare play “The Winter’s Tale” to educate kids about theater, drama and storytelling. There is one group for children who are going into grades 1-3 and one for those entering grades 4-6.

The GVSU Shakespeare Festival is sponsoring the event. For more information about scholarships, email [email protected] or call (616) 331-3668. To RSVP, visit www.gvsu.edu/shakes/willpower-registration.htm.

Laker writing camps

The month of July features several Lake Michigan Writing Project writing camps for young students in grades 3 through 12. Sessions for elementary and high school students begin today, with one of these located on the Grand Valley State University Allendale Campus. During the week of July 20, writers can learn more at the Pew Campus in Grand Rapids.

The cost is $125 per child, and scholarships are available. For more information, contact Sue Spears at [email protected], or call 616-331-2994. To register online, visit www.gvsu.edu/lmwp/writers-camp-index.htm.

Coast Guard city century bike tour

Those interested in cycling and cooking out can join the Coast Guard City Century Bike Tour on Sunday, July 26 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Morning Star Café is providing made-to-order brats, burgers, hot dogs and veggie burgers alongside fresh fruit, a salad bar and a selection of desserts. Each participant will also receive two free beverage tickets, and they can purchase tickets for spectators.

The 100-mile Century Cyclist bike tour begins at 8 a.m., traveling along the Grand River and through Grand Haven. The 62-mile tour crosses the Bascule Bridge and leaves at 9:30 a.m. Families can enjoy a 33-mile ride departing from Mulligan’s Hollow beginning at 10:30 a.m.

For more details, go to www.loosespokes.com/cgcentury or call (616) 847-1980.

Campus Dining open interviews

All locations of Grand Valley State University’s Campus Dining are hiring student employees to start this fall semester. For those who are in the area, Campus Dining is hosting open interviews from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Wednesday, July 29 through Friday, July 31. They take place in the lower level of the Commons, across from Fuel.

Students will fill out applications while waiting for their interviews. They should bring a picture ID and an original social security card, birth certificate or passport. Questions can be directed to [email protected].

17th annual engineering design conference

The Padnos College of Engineering and Computing is hosting the 17th annual engineering design conference on Friday, July 31. The event goes from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and is located in the Eberhard Center on the Grand Valley State University Pew Campus.

The conference is a celebration of engineering students who have solved real-world problems during the capstone design program. Students will show their projects and explain how they will address current problems in their field.

To learn more, visit www.gvsu.edu/engineering. Those with questions can call (616) 331-6750 or email [email protected].