Student organizations to host water drive for Flint

GVL / Courtesy - DeChelle Richards

GVL / Courtesy – De’Chelle Richards

Ashlyn Korienek

Student activism begins in small steps. When a crisis occurs, the community comes together at large to create change. Donating a bottle of water may seem small to some, but to others that difference could mean survival.

Since 2014, residents of Flint, Michigan faced ongoing drinking water contamination resulting from the switch of the water supply from the city of Detroit to the Flint River.

Many people have experienced high levels of lead in their blood and a range of serious health problems. Recently, the issue has faced concerns on how to stop the ongoing contamination and bring water to Flint.

From Jan. 25 to Jan. 29, the Grand Valley State University’s student organization POWER joined forces with AIM International and Alpha Kappa Psi to coordinate a Flint water drive. Donations will be collected in the Kirkhof Center.

The newly-formed student organization, Professional Organization for Women Entering Reality, which brings awareness to gender and minority inequality, was involved in the organization of the event.

“POWER is new student organization formed last semester on Oct. 14,” De’Chelle Richards, president and founder of POWER, said. “The water drive was my vice president’s idea and I agreed to the collaboration. Many of our brother organizations are affected by this issue, as well.”

Nijah’ McNeal, vice president of POWER, and AIM International’s vice president Jake Kendall, enacted the original plan together. Other organizations and faculty members supported their plan.

Additional members involved include: the Women’s Center, the NAACP GVSU chapter and the National Panhellenic Council.

“We started this with one of our brother organizations,” McNeal said. “We know people who are from Flint, which makes it more personal for us. We decided to take the water to Flint personally, as we feel there are people facing restrictions on getting water right now.”

McNeal said the most important factor was deciding to drop-off the water themselves to avoid these possible restrictions.

For the remainder of the semester, Richards said POWER is planning several events to empower different cultures at GVSU. She said the plans include a cultural business wear fashion show and a resume-building workshop.

In addition, Richards said they will be hosting several seminars throughout the semester. Guest speakers will be featured discussing different aspects of professionalism from several fields of study.

“I want different races or backgrounds to join POWER and come together,” she said. “I want them to put their differences aside, so we can create some unity within the Grand Valley community. One person might not change everything, but if our efforts can regress these issues then we are right on track.”

As POWER is a new organization, the formal interview process to become a member is still active. In addition, Richards provided a GoFundMe account for the water drive available online to donate funds directly and reach out to the rest of the community.

To learn more about the Flint water drive or to donate visit www.gofundme.com/49k6yj7j.