GVSU dominates GLIAC weekend series

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
Gabriella Mencotti fights off Lexi Pszanka of Minnesota State. Grand Valleys womens soccer team defeats #4 ranked Minnesota State by a score of 2-1 Sept. 13.

Kevin Sielaff

GVL/Kevin Sielaff Gabriella Mencotti fights off Lexi Pszanka of Minnesota State. Grand Valley’s women’s soccer team defeats #4 ranked Minnesota State by a score of 2-1 Sept. 13.

Mason Tronsor

The Grand Valley State women’s soccer team continued a streak of dominating performances with a pair of GLIAC wins over the weekend. The Lakers beat Tiffin at home 4-0, before traveling to Ohio to blow out Malone 10-0.

Nine different Lakers scored a goal in the two games, as the Lakers outshot their opponents a combined 78-1.

“It is all about getting numbers in the box and spacing for us,” said GVSU head coach Jeff Hosler. “When we pick people out, the ball will find the player and the back of the net.”

One of the big headlines heading into the weekend was the health of starting goalkeeper Emily Maresh. Maresh suffered an injury in GVSU’s Sept. 22 matchup against Saginaw Valley State, and did not play in either match this weekend.

Sophomore Paige Pryson and freshman Sofia Sweier filled in for Maresh as both played in each match.

The Lakers started off slow against Tiffin in the weekend opener. GVSU was held scoreless until about 18 minutes into the match, when junior defender Clare Carlson found the back of the net off a delivery from sophomore forward Gabriella Mencotti.

The goal was Carlson’s third of the season, and she notched her fourth of the year later in the match.

“The first goal was fun because I was playing in a position I am not used to,” Carlson said. “It’s fun to get inside the box and get involved.”

That was only highlight from the first half, however, as the Lakers led the Dragons just 1-0 at the half, despite outshooting Tiffin 20-1 in the half.

The goals flowed in the second half.

Junior forward Kendra Stauffer started the scoring four minutes into the half with her fourth goal of the season. Carlson added her second goal of the game shortly after.

To put the game away for good, freshman forward Samantha Riga scored the first goal of her GVSU career, off a smooth assist from midfielder Dani Johnson.

“It was very exciting for me and my teammates,” Riga said. “It was all thanks to Dani Johnson who had the diving header.”

The Lakers finished off the Dragons 4-0, with the final shot chart showed GVSU outshooting Tiffin 39-1. The Lakers also had 21 corner kicks compared to Tiffin’s one corner kick.

GVSU had its first conference road match of the season against Malone in Canton, Ohio on Sunday. To call it a test, however, may not be accurate.

The Lakers jumped out to a quick lead early in the match. Junior Jayma Martin scored the first goal. Fellow juniors Carlson and Marti Corby followed suit, and freshman Tara Lierman capped off the first half with a tally of her own as the Lakers led 4-0 at halftime.

“Give credit to Malone, they came out and really tried to knock the ball around against us,” Hosler said. “But we stayed the course and found opportunities and made the most of them.”

The Lakers were far from finished. Just like the first half, Martin opened up the scoring for GVSU in the second half. Senior Katie Klunder, sophomore Gabriella Mencotti and freshmen Riga and Lindsay Ebeling all scored in the second half. Riga had two goals late, and Ebeling scored her first career goal at GVSU.

The Lakers outshot the Pioneers 39-0. The Lakers also had 20 shots on goal. The Lakers played three games in one week, but weren’t fazed and finished stronger than they started.

“It was a grind, five games in nine days is tough,” Hosler said. “But this is a testament to our team’s depth.”

GVSU is back to a regular schedule next week. The Lakers travel to Saginaw Valley State Oct. 2 and return home to face Northwood on Oct. 4.