GVSU honors the dead

Erin Grogan

This Halloween, not all students were out and about to play some tricks and get some treats; some were at the library. But not to study—they went to pay respect to the dead and learn how other cultures view and celebrate death.

The atrium of the Mary Idema Pew Library was nearly full Thursday night as students joined Rolando Mancera, a local artist originally from Mexico, to decorate a traditional altar to celebrate the Day of the Dead.

“This is a fiesta to celebrate and receive the spirits once a year,” Mancera said of the holiday.

Mancera said Day of the Dead has its origins in Aztec culture. The Aztecs originally celebrated their deceased in a month-long celebration throughout August. After the Spanish invaded the area, Christian beliefs mixed with the beliefs of the Aztecs, and celebrations were pushed into two days—Nov. 1 and Nov. 2, coinciding with the Christian holidays of All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day.

The altar built in the library is an example of the blend of these beliefs. Mancera said the altar is decorated with items from both Aztec and Christian traditions and shows the spirits where to come.

The Omicron Alpha Chapter of Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority also gave a presentation on Day of the Dead on Friday afternoon. At the same event, presentations explaining how their respective cultures and religions view and celebrate death were given by the Asian Student Union, the African Student Council and the Muslim Student Association.

“Many people think Halloween and Day of the Dead are the same,” said Veronica Beltran, who presented for the Sigma Lambda Gamma sorority. “Day of the Dead is not Halloween. It is more of a celebration and remembrance of loved ones.”

The altar built in the library consists of seven layers “to represent the seven layers the Aztecs believed a soul must pass through to rest,” Beltran said.

These layers are covered in yellow cloth and religious items, as well as items that would mean something to the spirits coming to visit.

On the first layer, Mancera placed spices that he said would awaken the spirits after they smelled them. The second included washing items, the third clothes, and the fourth had food items—mainly peppers and dry grains.

Mancera invited students to place personal items that reminded them of their loved ones on the fifth layer of the altar and pictures of them on the seventh. The sixth layer held both Aztec and Christian religious items.

An arch covered in bright yellow and orange flowers rested on top of the seventh layer. “This represents the connection between life and death,” Mancera said.

The altar will remain in the library for several days, and Mancera said students are welcome to continue to decorate the it with items that remind them of deceased loved ones, as well as pictures of them.