News briefs: Ghana social work program

Ghana social work program

Grand Valley State University students interested in studying abroad in the Ghana social work program are invited to attend an informational meeting on Nov. 23.

In the program, students who sign up will work alongside Ghanaian social workers, visit local villages, explore Ghana and travel to the Krobo Odumasi and Cape Coast.

The informational session is scheduled to take place from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in Room 391C of the DeVos Center, located on the Pew Campus.

For more information, contact Dianne Green-Smith at [email protected] or (616) 331-6550.

Campus Climate survey closed Sunday

The fifth Campus Climate survey at GVSU closed on Nov. 22. The survey looks to assess the campus environment and see where improvements need to be made.

Currently, 27 percent of students have responded and 41 percent of faculty and staff members.

Students who responded to the survey will be entered to win one of four $2,000 tuition grants and faculty members will be eligible to win one of three $1,000 research or professional development grants. Additionally, if the faculty and staff response rate is at 60 percent of greater, two more $2,000 tuition grants will be available for students.

For more information about the survey, visit www.gvsu.edu/mygvsu.

Community reading project seeking suggestions

Book suggestions for next year’s community reading project at GVSU are due by Dec. 11.

Book proposals must contain wide appeal for the campus community, moral vision and a connection to university mission and values.The CRP promotes diversity, inclusion, insight and understanding by creating university-wide dialogue about the themes that the chosen book contains.

Book suggestions can be sent via email to [email protected].

Study finds Kent County houses more generous donors

A recent study done by the Johnson Center for Philanthropy found that people who donate to charities in Kent County are more generous than individual donors in the rest of the state.

The report showed that all the donors in Kent County gave a total of $907,877,678 in 2013, a decrease of about $39 million, or 4.1 percent, from 2012. However, the overall four-year giving pattern is trending upward.

More details and the full study can be found online at www.johnsoncenter.org.

Thanksgiving Break

The Grand Valley State University campus will be closed starting Nov. 25 for Thanksgiving break.

Classes will resume on Nov. 30 and the normal bus schedule will resume at this time as well. For more information about the holiday bus schedule go to www.gvsu.edu/bus.

Campus dining locations will be closed on Thanksgiving and will have limited hours throughout the week. For a comprehensive schedule visit www.gvsu.edu/campusdine.