Design Thinking Initiative plans for future growth

GVL / Courtesy 
IDEA Logo

GVL / Courtesy IDEA Logo

Alex Sinn

The Design Thinking Initiative at Grand Valley State University is getting students, faculty and industry involved in planning and practices this semester as it prepares to bring new ways of thinking to the curriculum and beyond.

Design Thinking takes a collaborative, interdisciplinary approach to solving complex problems, with a focus on empathy. The implications are many for GVSU, and several projects are in the works to test the waters and explore the applications for the future.

Director of the Design Thinking Initiative John Berry said the process fosters new ways of looking at “wicked problems” and isn’t just about building things.

“It’s incredibly powerful in social issues or government issues,” he said in a presentation to the GVSU Student Senate on Jan. 29, when he sought the general assembly’s input.

Berry also announced there is a new GVSU course in the works for the fall: Design Thinking to Meet Real-World Needs. He said this course, extracurricular opportunities and a degree program are on the horizon, but this semester is a stage of brainstorming and feedback.

“Exactly where this all goes, we’re not sure yet,” he said.

To find out, a group has been formed to brainstorm ideas and “to get some formalized student input,” Berry said.

The process will involve the meeting of three worlds: students, faculty and administrators, companies and a design firm.

A new student group called the Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship Alliance (IDEA) is also making its contribution.

“We’re the student front of the Design Thinking Initiative,” said GVSU engineering major Kathryn Christopher.

Christopher formed the group with Briauna Taylor, who graduated GVSU with a business degree and is now in the nursing program. They won two business competitions last year to fund their startup called Fluition Innovations, which produces a medical device that assists people who can’t stand on their own.

“We used Design Thinking in starting our company,” Taylor said.

The girls approached Berry to form a partnership in the pursuit of similar goals and to assist with the brainstorming for Design Thinking at GVSU.

Christopher said she hopes IDEA will encourage collaboration across disciplines and create more startups.

IDEA offers GVSU students in any major the opportunity to work on complex problems and develop a variety of skills, Taylor added.

The first IDEA meeting is Feb. 12, and all students are welcome to attend. The group will meet monthly for activities and to hear guest speakers.

The Design Thinking Initiative team will seek feedback from IDEA after its first meeting on Feb. 10 and will meet again in March to continue refining plans for the future.

“Part of the value of the Design Thinking Initiative process is not assuming you know the answers,” Berry said.

Broadly, Design Thinking at GVSU will allow students from across disciplines to collaborate to solve problems, he said.

“West Michigan is a very design-centric region,” Berry said, “Which is a good thing.”

For more information on the Design Thinking Initiative, visit www.
gvsu.edu/designthinking/design-thinking-at-gvsu-7.htm.