A fond farewell for Ravines Apartments

GVL / Sara Carte
Ravines Living Center Director, Emily Davis, talks with students at the Ravine Apartments Community Center to say farewell to the Ravine Apartments for their final year of housing on Oct. 24.

Sara Carte

GVL / Sara Carte Ravines Living Center Director, Emily Davis, talks with students at the Ravine Apartments Community Center to say farewell to the Ravine Apartments for their final year of housing on Oct. 24.

Taylor Fussman

More than 10,000 students have been housed in the Ravine Apartments throughout the span of its existence. Grand Valley State University staff, students and alumni had the opportunity to attend a Farewell Ceremony for the Ravine Apartments on Saturday.

Past and present members of the GVSU community shared memories and celebrated the past during the homecoming weekend ceremony. This event was held due to the scheduled removal of the Ravines on-campus apartment units in the coming year.

During the ceremony, numerous members of the housing staff and alumni who lived in the Ravine Apartments during their time at GVSU gathered in the Ravines Community Center to tell stories about their time in the housing center.

“It’s very exciting to be the living center director for this area because it’s the last year it will be here, so it’s like being a part of history,” said Emily Davis, Ravine Apartments living center director.

Information supplied during the ceremony explained various aspects of the Ravines history and legacy. For instance, the Ravines architecture was designed in order to enhance the peaceful nature of the surrounding environment, made evident by the way each building is located beside a wooded ravine.

There were a variety of people in attendance to wish the apartments farewell.

Brandie Tenney, assistant director for Housing and Residence Life, said one couple came because the Ravines was their first home together as husband and wife.

Overall, people attending the farewell ceremony shared a love for these structures and their surroundings.

“It was nice to have a place to cook a meal and just relax,” said Raven McClinon, a GVSU alumna and former resident of the Ravines.

Takeelia Garrett, assistant director for Housing and Residence Life, agreed.

“A lot of people made really good connections with the people here,” Garrett said.

The Ravine Apartments were the first of their kind in Michigan when they opened in September 1973.

Although the residential apartment units will be removed, the Ravines Community Center will remain standing.

The plan is for the Community Center to be refurbished into a new location for the Campus Recreation Adventure and Education Center. Its future purpose will allegedly be to hold equipment such as snowshoes and kayaks to be used by students.

“The Ravines are well loved, like a childhood toy you’ve carried everywhere and now you are off to college and have to let that teddy bear go,” said Kristen Evans, assistant director of Recruitment and Training for Housing and Residence Life.

The new building under construction on Robinson Field will replace the Ravine Apartments as student housing once they are taken down.