Celebrating pride

GVL / Luke Holmes- Carrie Simmons gives the Service to the Community award to Monica Johnstone and Gary Van Harn. The Pride Awards were held in the Kirkhof Center Wednesday, Mar. 30, 2016, to honor those who have made a positive impact on the LGBT community at GVSU.

Sanda Vazgec

Like any large organization, the population at Grand Valley State University encompasses people from many different walks of life. There are many organizations and departments to represent these diverse groups, and recognizing their accomplishments and milestones is an important part of these organizations’ work.

On March 30, the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center held the PRIDE Awards to honor those who have positively contributed to the LGBTQ+ community at GVSU.

“We get to come together as a community here at GVSU in the midst of all this vitriol we’re seeing in the world out there,” said Scott Burden, graduate assistant for the LGBT Resource Center. “We get to honor students who are resilient and who resist against that.”

The event recognized students, faculty and staff who have made significant strides to improve the LGBTQ+ environment on campus and make it a safe and accommodating space.

Award recipients included student organizations such as: the Queer Alliance, Loud and Queer, T2, Intersections Ambassadors, QTPoC, Out ‘N’ About and In the Margins.

These organizations were recognized for their advocacy, education, alliance and providing support to members of the LGBTQ+ community.

Faculty and staff were also honored for their contributions and efforts toward the community.

The Milton E. Ford Leadership Award was given to Jessica Jennrich, director of the Women’s Center, for her continued support, advocacy and mentorship of students. Jennrich also serves a member of the LGBT Center’s advisory committee.

Gary Van Harn and Monica Johnstone were awarded the Service to Community Award for their participation and service to the resource center and expanding organizations on campus. The two presented a quilt made by allies that represents the intersectionality of each person’s life. The Milt Quilt was made to honor Milton E. Ford’s vision and will be on display in the resource center office.

Other staff award recipients included: Neal Rogness for the PRISM Award, Cáel Keegan for the Faculty Engagement Award and the Solidarity Award given to Allie Montaie and Takeelia Garrett.

GVSU students Andrew Collier, Samm Martin and Alex Vail were awarded the Outstanding Student Leadership Award for their participation and contributions.

Burden was recognized for his work as a graduate assistant in the program.

“Scott is far and away the best grad I’ve ever had the privilege to supervise,” said Carrie Simmons, program coordinator for the LGBT Resource Center. “Having someone in this role who is so considerate, devoted, enthusiastic, intelligent, hardworking and courageous has been a true gift.”

The event also included entertainment provided by students, including a poetry reading by Ashlynn Rowell and Erica Ruffner, spoken word performed by Natalia Walter, a vocal performance by Eric Lacerna and a dance by drag performer Roxy Cox.

For more information on the Milton E. Ford LGBTQ Center or the LGBTQ+ community visit www.gvsu.edu/lgbtrc.