Arts briefs

Kate Branum

Hold it for the Holidays

The human resources department at Grand Valley State University will be holding an eight-week health challenge beginning Monday, Nov. 21 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Hold it for the Holidays is a program that encourages participants to make health-conscious decisions over the holiday season.

Competitors looking to maintain their current weight will be asked to donate $5 while those looking to shed weight are asked to contribute $10 to enroll in the program.

As an extra incentive to keep participants on track, those who meet their goal weight at the end of the eight-week program will get their money back.

Throughout the challenge, weekly nutritious recipes and fitness tips will be offered to participants to steer them toward a healthier lifestyle.

Register for the program online at www.gvsu.edu/sprout.

Humanitarian Work in Havana

In June 2012, assistant professor in physical therapy Gordon Alderink and Grand Valley State University film and video student, Charlie Pryor, traveled to Havana, Cuba with First-Hand Aid (FHA).

Alderink and Pryor have created an exhibition outlining their journey currently on display at the Blue Wall Gallery in the Richard M. DeVos Center on the Pew Campus.

The work displayed is intended to share the FHA experience with the students at GVSU and to inform viewers about the strengths and weaknesses of the Cuban national health system.

The exhibit is free to the public and will be available to view until Friday, Jan. 27.

‘I am Grand Valley’

Nominations for I am Grand Valley 2016-17 are now open and will be accepted until Wednesday, Nov. 30.

Coordinated by the Office of Student Life at Grand Valley State University, “I am Grand Valley” is a leadership recognition program for GVSU students. The program recognizes student leaders across campus who display at utilize strong leadership skills that contribute to the campus and beyond.

All nominated students include: student employees, leaders in student organizations, resident assistants and students that excel in the classroom.

Faculty, staff and students can nominate individuals through a noncompetitive nomination process online, or contact [email protected].

Young Life GV

The Young Life ministry organization at Grand Valley State University offers students on campus an opportunity to connect with a community of college students exploring Christianity.

A meeting will be held Tuesday, Nov. 22 from 9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. in Kirkhof Center Room 0072.

There will be games, videos, talks and in-depth discussions about faith and how it impacts college students throughout their daily lives.

For more information on the event, contact [email protected].