Quick Hits: former GVSU football All-American earns NFL weekly honors, women’s basketball collects fifth win

Lanthorn Sports

GV football alum Matt Judon dominates to earn NFL weekly honors

Although most Division II collegiate football players will never break through to make it onto an NFL team, the odds of them even being able to play on the field regularly are even slimmer. But for the Grand Valley State football program, who currently has five former players in the NFL, there’s a certain pride that propels the Laker name against all other programs.

The GVSU football program can add one more accolade to the resume after former defensive star and All-American Matt Judon was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week, announced Tuesday, Nov. 21 by the NFL Headquarters.

Against the Green Bay Packers, one of the most storied franchises in sports history, Judon tallied seven tackles and two QB sacks to help his team, the Baltimore Ravens, claim a shutout 23-0 victory over the Packers Sunday, Nov. 19 at Lambeau Field.

As this is Judon’s first full season as a starter, the weekly nod was the first of hopefully many in his career. At the age of 25, Judon is the youngest Ravens linebacker to win the award since future hall of famer and current Raven Terrell Suggs did in 2005. 

So far this year, Judon has 35 tackles, five QB sacks and 10 tackles for loss and is quickly establishing himself as not only one of the best young defensive players in the NFL, but one of the best young players overall. 

Judon, a native of Baton Rouge, La., was drafted in the fifth round of the NFL Draft in 2016 by the Ravens.  

GV women’s basketball defeats Bellarmine in day two of Thanksgiving Classic

While most students were enjoying their Thanksgiving break in the comfort of their own homes, the Grand Valley State women’s basketball team headed down to Louisville, Ky. to compete against host Bellarmine at the Bellarmine Thanksgiving Classic Sunday, Nov. 26.

The Lakers lost their first contest against Southern Indiana 53-44 Saturday, Nov. 25, but bounced back to defeat Bellarmine in fashion 77-63 to bring their record to 5-1 on the year. 

GVSU took the advantage in the first quarter with an early 17-8 lead, but only managed to be ahead by 5 points heading into halftime as Bellarmine scored 17 in the second quarter to make it a 30-25 contest. 

The Lakers responded by coming out the second half scoring 30 in the third quarter, compared to Bellarmine’s 19. GVSU was outscored by 2 points in the final quarter, but still managed to hold on their lead to grab the 77-63 victory to close out the Thanksgiving Classic. 

GVSU dominated majority of the statistical categories, including field goal percentage (58), three pointers (12), assists (20) and rebounds (41). However, they also coughed up the most turnover with 25, compared to Bellarmine’s 15.

Sophomore forward Maddie Dailey led the Lakers in scoring with 16, connecting on six of seven attempts–four of them coming behind the three-point line. The lone senior Korynn Hincka finished the game with a double-double, tallying 13 total rebounds and 10 points. Other contributions for GVSU came from redshirt junior Taylor Parmley (14 points, seven rebounds), redshirt sophomore Victoria Hedemark (12 points, all from four three-pointers) and sophomore Jenn DeBoer (7 points, six assists).

The Lakers will be back competing in Michigan Tuesday, Nov. 28, but this time they will be heading to Wayne State University in Detroit to face their GLIAC rival.