Laker Life Briefs 2/24/19

Amy McNeel

Kick off summer with the 2019 Summer Job Fair 

With only two months left in the semester, summer is fast approaching. Luckily, Grand Valley State University’s Student Employment has Lakers covered. On Tuesday, March 12, GVSU Student Employment is holding its 2019 Summer Job Fair. 

The fair is taking place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Kirkhof Center Grand River Room 2250. Approximately 70 organizations will be in attendance, from both in-state and out-of-state. The fair will cover a wide range of summer job and internship opportunities. 

According to GVSU Student Employment, the fair will include employers in healthcare, business, education, recreation, manufacturing and more. 

Students can register for the fair and view the list of registered employers on their handshake accounts. Registration for the fair is not required, but recommended for those who want to be viewable to employers prior to the event. 

Unplug with Campus Rec 

The National Day of Unplugging is sundown to sundown from Friday, March 1 to Saturday, March 2. The national event is a 24-hour detox from technology. Grand Valley State University is participating in this detox through Campus Recreation’s Unplugged event series. 

Unplugged is taking place Sunday, Feb. 24 through Saturday, March 1. According to Campus Rec, “Americans spend an average of five hours on technology daily.” Through a plethora of planned classes and activities, Campus Rec hopes to help students unplug and enjoy the five hours people usually spend on technology. 

A full schedule and list of activities can be found at www.gvsu.edu/events/unplugged-2019. 

Brooks College to encourage collaborative thinking 

On Thursday, Feb. 28, the Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies is hosting a Collaboration Pop-Up Class. Along with the Design Thinking Academy, Steve Seward of Steve Seward Consulting will be exploring collaborative protocols and teamwork. 

The event will be a hands-on experience that provides attendees with knowledge on protocols that can be used to promote healthy environments, encourage reflection and employ thinking. 

The Collaboration Pop-Up Class will is taking place from 6 to 8 p.m. in AuSable Hall room 1112. The class is free and open to all Grand Valley State University students, faculty and staff.