TJ DO NOT PUBLISH THIS

Lucas Escalada

Headline:

By Lucas Escalada

The Grand Valley State University student senate welcomed visitors from the Women’s Center on Thursday. Senators learned about the relocated GVSU Student Food Pantry as well as other services available to students in the upcoming semester.

Jessica Jenrich, director of the Women’s Center, said the GVSU Food Pantry is no longer located in the women’s center. Instead, the food pantry now has its own space on campus, located in Kirkhof 0074.

The student food pantry can help students who deal with challenges when it comes to accessing food. Obtaining food can be a source of financial stress, and inadequate nutrition can be damaging to a student’s performance.

The pantry is open Monday to Thursday from noon to 6 p.m. On Fridays, the pantry is open from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

If a student needs to access the food pantry outside of the available times, a Women’s Center staff member can give them access, Jenrich said.

“What we’re really hoping this year is that we’ll continue to see an uptick in the number of students who use the student pantry and that with that uptick we’ll have a corresponding uptick of donations,” she said.

GVSU students may donate to the pantry at any time by visiting KC 0074. The new space, called Restore, features a refrigerator. Some suggested donations include cereal, soup, rice, fruit, pasta and Campus Dining gift cards.

Jenrich said the new location is better for all students, since it can be easier to access for students with disabilities.

Students can access the pantry twice per month. Jenrich said that students may ask to access the pantry more often, but he or she needs to check in with the Women’s Center.

Ashley Schutlte, victim advocate at GVSU, addressed the senate regarding the variety of programs the Women’s Center has to offer as well as her job as a victim advocate.

Schulte said she works as a resource for students. She tries to work with students and refer them to the appropriate counseling or support service in the campus community.

She encouraged senate members to refer fellow students who may need her help to her. If students are referred to Schulte, they will often feel more comfortable reaching out for help.

Schulte said she would classify her role as a private, non-confidential position.

“I navigate a tricky line there because I’m and advocate and I’m federally funded and I want the university to do what they’re supposed to be doing,” Schulte said.

When a student seems to be ready to share a large amount of personal information with her, Schulte lets them know what kind of information they have or do not have to share with her. This way, students understand the kind of information she needs in order to help them, without them having to share specific details.