Some restaurants, GVPD to stay open over break

Kara Haight

While many students will be packing their cars and venturing home for some much needed rest after finals are finished, some Grand Valley State University students will stay on campus.

Brandie Tenney, assistant director of Housing and Residence Life at GVSU, said about 200 students will continue to live on campus for an extended period of time during break.

“Students are required to sign up to stay during the break even if it is just one day and abide by all housing and campus policies during the break period just as they would in the academic period,” Tenney said.

Students can sign up for extended stay on the GVSU Housing and Residence website.
Many of the on-campus resources and departments, including the Grand Valley Police Department, will still be up and running during the holiday for student use.

“Our patrol schedule does not change during the break,” said GVPD Capt. Brandon DeHaan. “Officers will continue to work throughout the break.”

Also operating through the winter break will be GVSU’s Housing and Residence Life staff.
“Housing staff are on call 24 hours a day and can be contacted via cell phone posted on every door or by contacting GVPD,” Tenney said.

Select dining area and food places on the Allendale campus will also be open during certain.

Deb Rambadt of GVSU Campus Dining said the Lobby Shop and River Landing inside the Kirkhof Center will be open with reduced hours Dec. 17 through Dec. 20 and also Jan. 2 through Jan. 4. Papa John’s Pizza inside the Connection will remain open throughout break with altered hours.

For those students living on campus downtown, Rambadt said the Plaza Café will remain open with its usual hours Dec. 17 through Dec. 20.

Exact hours for dining during break can be found at gvsu.edu/food.