Student Life releases new information, entertainment video series

Courtesy / Lewis Stone
Lewis Stone the star actor of Hey There, Laker!

Courtesy photo

Courtesy / Lewis Stone Lewis Stone the star actor of “Hey There, Laker!”

Paige Platte

From athletics to the performing arts, “Hey There, Laker!” has something for everyone.

Sponsored by Grand Valley State Univeristy’s Office of Student Life, the bi-weekly video series aims at keeping students in the loop about what’s going on around the university’s campus – inluding the top five events to check out around campus for each episode.

LeAnn Tibbe, assistant director of Student Life, said “Hey There, Laker!” is not limited to Student Life-sponsored programs and events, but instead, “it will highlight events that we feel are best for students.”

“We’re going with it, and we’re excited about where it’s gone so far,” Tibbe said.
Freshman Lewis Stone will host the video series, beginning each feature with a short segment of information and a dash of humor.

“I get to choose events I think would be interesting for the top five and crack a few jokes,” Stone said.

The “Hey There, Laker!” production team includes Stone as the primary actor, while Robert Nielsen and Santiago Murillo Sainz share in the behind-the-scenes action. The team works well together, according to Nielsen.

“I enjoy working on this video series because it doesn’t really feel like work,” Nielsen said. “When we go out to shoot the project, I get to go with two other great guys, Lewis and Santiago.”

The program is still very early in its development, with only two segments having been released, and stone said the group is “still testing the waters on its potential.”

He said future segments may feature guest stars from the different organizations that are being highlighted each episode.

“The goal of making these videos is really to get students to go out and be part of our community,” Neilsen said.

The most recent segment of this series will be released today, and can be viewed on the GVSUStudentLife YouTube page, or at www.gvsu.edu/2020.