Student Senate works to improve GVSU’s external relationships

Student Senate

Allow us to introduce ourselves. Our names are Lawrence Williams and Matthew Bogden, and we have the distinct honor and privilege of serving on the Grand Valley State University Student Senate. Thinking back to the summer before our freshman year, we both heard many different things about college. However, there is one comment that stood out among the rest. “College will be the best four years of your life.” 

These are words all of us have been told, whether it was by our parents, grandparents, cousins, friends, or coworkers – and the truth of the matter is, they’re right! The college experience is an unforgettable one, and it is during this time that we, as students and individuals, discover and continue to develop our interests, passions and character. What makes the college experience even grander is the community that exists within and outside the university. As Student Senators serving on the External Relations Committee, it is our duty to assist in creating and maintaining a friendly, communal relationship between the university and surrounding communities.

When we both arrived at Grand Valley, we were absolutely astonished by the sense of community on campus. We were also extremely impressed by Grand Valley’s presence in Grand Rapids, as well as the relationship the university had built with the city. This is the exact reason why we were shocked by what appeared to be a lack of involvement between students and the township of Allendale. This is an issue that both the university and township have acknowledged, and the External Relations Committee has put in a great amount of effort to assist in creating a stronger and closer bond between these two communities.

For life beyond Allendale, Senator Williams has worked with other student governments in order to gain ideas that we can use to better our Grand Valley community, while Senator Bogden is working with the Office of Student Life to create an event aimed at motivating and inspiring students to pursue their ideal careers. 

While we realize that our backgrounds may have their differences, we both agree on the fact that our personal experiences have taught us the importance of having a sense of community in our lives. This is why we are so proud to serve on the External Relations Committee, where we have the opportunity to help create a sense of community for all students. 

Our advice to our fellow Lakers is this: do not be afraid to stand up and speak out for what you believe will benefit the Grand Valley community. By working together, we can make a more diverse, inclusive and opportunistic Grand Valley for generations to come.

As Student Senators, we are committed to ensuring that the many voices of the student body are heard. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact or visit the Student Senate Office, located in Room 0040 of the Kirkhof Center.

Phone Number: 616-331-2333

Website:www.gvsu.edu/studentsenate/

Email Address: [email protected]

Facebook Page: Grand Valley State University Student Senate

Twitter: @GVStudentSenate