Positive Black Women celebrate unsung heroes of history

GVL / Sara Carte - In honor of Black History month, Mitzi Loving-Johnson (left) presents Henrietta Lacks during the PBW Valentine’s Day Luncheon in the Kirkhof Center on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2016 in Allendale.

GVL / Sara Carte – In honor of Black History month, Mitzi Loving-Johnson (left) presents Henrietta Lacks during the PBW Valentine’s Day Luncheon in the Kirkhof Center on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2016 in Allendale.

Sanda Vazgec

Paying tribute to women of color who have paved the way in history, the annual Valentine’s Day Luncheon hosted by Positive Black Women was held on Feb. 11 at Grand Valley State University.

Positive Black Women is an organization dedicated to empowering and supporting women of color at GVSU. The organization was founded in 1994 by a group of women who wanted to provide a source of support for black women on campus.

When the organization was formed, the women not only wanted to host events, but to raise money in order to provide a scholarship to fellow students.

As the organization grew, the scholarship became an endowment fund, which enabled the group to give money to a student every year. Since then, the organization has given over $25,000.

Takeelia L. Garrett, assistant director of Housing and Residence Life at GVSU, was one of the first recipients of the PBW scholarship in 1995 when she was an undergraduate student. Garrett said the money helped fund her study abroad experience.

Garrett, who also serves as the chair of the PBW scholarship committee, helps to organize the Valentine’s Day Luncheon every year.

This year, the luncheon focused on the “unsung heroes” of black women’s history, highlighting women who have made significant contributions but whose work has been overlooked in the history books.

The event paid tribute to political activists, entertainers, writers and educational leaders; women including Misty Copeland, Jackie “Moms” Mabley and Claudette Colvin.

“The women we chose to highlight have done work that has made an impact on us as black women,” Garrett said. “It drives us to do the work that we do today.”

Garrett said that while she works hard to contribute to the success of the luncheon, the event would not be what it is without Darrhonda Scott-Jones.

Scott-Jones is the chair of the events committee for PBW and also works as the office coordinator of the GVSU Women’s Center.

“She does a fantastic job at coordinating the program,” Garrett said. “Without her it wouldn’t be what it is.”

This year, the luncheon also presented Doris Rucks, a former GVSU professor, with the Trailblazer Award for her continuous work in empowering women of color.

“Dr. Doris Rucks is a pioneer in our community,” Garrett said. “We wanted to honor that.”

PBW decided to name the award after Rucks and announced that the Doris Rucks Trailblazer Award will be presented every year to someone who has done exceptional work for the community.

Alicia Fleming, a junior at GVSU, has attended the event every year since her freshman year.

“You get to learn about women who have had these major obstacles in their lives,” Fleming said. “But they refused to let that deter their dreams.”

Fleming said the luncheon allows attendees to learn about history in a fun way and is a great opportunity to have open conversation about the events and women highlighted.

The luncheon is open for anyone to attend, regardless of gender or race. The organization welcomes attendees to come learn and enjoy the history of black women through food, poetry, music and dance.

To find out more about PBW or the PBW scholarship, visit www.gvsu.edu/pbw.