Quick Hits: Men’s Tennis shines at Hope, Cribley wins Student athlete of the week, Soccer stays undefeated

Quick Hits: 

by Lanthorn Sports ([email protected])

GVSU Men’s Tennis had several strong performances at Hope Invitational

The Grand Valley State men’s tennis team saw several strong performances in both singles and doubles play at the Hope Invitational, picking up a handful of victories in the two-day tournament.

Sebastian Lescoulie and D.J. Colantone teamed up to win the A Doubles bracket, beating teammates Jack Geissler and Nicholas Urban 8-6 in the final. Lescoulie and Geissler were also named co-champions of the A Singles bracket after winning their semifinal matches.

Those weren’t the only two finals that Urban would compete, as he also won the B Singles bracket, dominating in the finals 6-2, 6-3. Lescoulie and Martin Martov also were able to secure wins in their own sections.

In the C Singles, Muniez Infante, Eric Zwemer, Nicolas Welker and Ryan Rhoades were all named co-champions, since they all represented GVSU in the semifinals of the secton.

Grand Valley State’s next tournament this fall will be the ITA Regional Championships hosted by Davenport. The tournament starts on Friday, Sept. 28 and will conclude on Sunday, Sept. 30.

GVSU Punter Collin Cribley wins Student Athlete of the week

Grand Valley State’s Collin Cribley, the starting punter on the football team, earned the honor of winning GVSU Student Athlete of the week presented by Ruth Chris Steakhouse. 

Cribley has averaged 43.2 yards per punt racking up 821 total yards on just 19 punts, including a season-high 61-yard punt last week against Delta State.

Hailing from Fruitport High School, Cribley is a prime example of a student athlete, as he’s been named Academic All-GLIAC the past three years, and is likely to earn the honor again in 2018.

Cribley was able to earn his first varsity letter last season, as he averaged 38.6 yards per punt on 34 punts, with a long punt of 56 yards and averaging 42.8 yards per punt. He also managed to drop 11 punts inside the opponents 20-yard line and tallied six punts of 50 yards or more.

GVSU Soccer beats Northwood 1-0, settles for a draw against Ashland

The Grand Valley State women’s soccer team remained undefeated in two pivotal GLIAC match-ups as they beat Northwood 1-0 at home on Friday, Sept. 14, before traveling to Ashland, Ohio to tie Ashland 0-0.

In the 67th minute of Friday’s match, Riko Sagara snuck through the Timberwolves’ defense and kicked the only goal of the contest into the left side of the net. Tara Lierman assisted on the goal.

Sunday’s game was a defensive showcase, as neither team was able to find the back of the net. The Lakers got off 21 shots, including 10 on target. This was the Lakers’ first scoreless draw since Oct. 26, 2014.

GVSU looks to improve upon their 5-0-1 record this week, as they have a home match-up with Indianapolis on Tuesday, Sept. 18 before traveling to Davenport on Sunday, Sept. 23. The games are at 7 p.m. and 12 p.m.

Schedule

Football: Home vs Michigan Tech, Saturday, Sep. 22, 7:00 p.m

Volleyball: Friday, Sep. 21, at Northern Michigan, 7:00 p.m., Saturday, Sep. 22, at Michigan Tech, 2:00 p.m.