PIC to hold passport fair

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
Megan Lendman and Ryan Grabijas, study abroad peer advisors at the Padnos International Center.

GVL/Kevin Sielaff Megan Lendman and Ryan Grabijas, study abroad peer advisors at the Padnos International Center.

Duane Emery

Traveling overseas can be one of the most exciting, life altering and eye opening experiences students will ever have. The trip may be great, but it can be a hassle trying to get all of the appropriate documents in order.

A passport is needed for travel in all countries outside of North America. Grand Valley State University’s passport fair is an opportunity for students to get some assistance in getting or renewing a passport.

The passport fair is being held on Thursday, Nov. 6 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Padnos International Center, Room 130 in Lake Ontario Hall.

“It takes four to six weeks to get a passport, and it’s good for 10 years,” said Vicki Wenger, the office coordinator at the Padnos International Center.

While a month and a half may not seem like a long wait, waiting until the last moment can jeopardize someone’s trip. The PIC recognized the need for this service years ago, as there were many students who wanted to study abroad, but who didn’t necessarily have a means to go out to get a passport.

“For students who don’t have cars, the fair is great,” said Alyse Griffis, the study abroad peer advisor. “It was really convenient when I had to get mine.”

The fair is offered twice a year, in November and February. However, it may be best to attend the November fair, as lines are usually shorter. According to Wenger, participation numbers are usually between 60 to 80 in November, and closer to 100 for the February event.

“If you want to go somewhere for spring break out of country, you should have one,” Griffis said.

While the cost of a passport at the fair is the same as the post office, the event is all inclusive with the added benefit of international center guidance.

“We can answer any questions they have,” Wenger said. “They can do everything here, take passport photos, applications, it’s a one stop shop.”

According to Wenger, the process doesn’t take very long, with most of the time spent waiting in line.

“Sometimes there can be a wait time of up to an hour,” Wenger said.

Danielle Kay, a student who travelled to New Zealand last year, attended the passport fair and said the whole process took between one and two hours, but she enjoyed the experience.

“It was more waiting than anything else,” she said. “It was well organized. I only had to go to a few different stations. It was easy to go through.”

Kay said she would highly recommend the fair to students.

“Especially if you live on campus, you aren’t going very far and they made the process really easy,” she said. “There’s no reason not to go.”

To get a new passport or renew your old one, you must bring a previous passport, a certified birth certificate or a naturalization certificate. A photo ID is also required. The total cost is $135 and they only accept checks or money orders. The passport photo is $2 in cash.

Wenger said it’s important that if students come in with copies of your documents, and they must be certified copies. The passport fair can be utilized by all GVSU students, faculty and staff.