News Briefs: Winter Career Fair

Drew Howard

Winter Career Fair

More than 230 employers are scheduled to attend Grand Valley State University’s annual Winter Career Fair on Feb. 25.

Students and alumni are invited to meet with a variety of different employers offering immediate and full-time jobs in addition to internships and co-ops. The event will also feature a guided tour of the career fair room in which participants can learn essential networking skills.

The Winter Career Fair is set to take place from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. at the DeVos Place Convention Center. Attendees are encouraged to bring their student ID in order to register.

A full list of registered employers can be found at www.gvsu.edu/careers.

Division of Inclusion and Equity sees faculty shake-up

The Division of Inclusion and Equity is now searching to fill several positions within its department following the announcement that Beverly Grant, interim assistant vice president, will leave her position later this semester.

As interim assistant vice president, Grant is responsible for overseeing the division’s strategic planning process in addition to helping develop procedures for key policies and functions.

Grant began her time as interim assistant vice president in May 2015. She is set to return to her previous position as associate director at the Johnson Center in April.

Deadline for Women’s Commission award nominations moved up

Those looking to nominate an individual for a Women’s Commission award now have until Feb. 26 to submit their forms.

Awards will be given out during the Celebrating Women Awards reception, an annual event that honors both men and women at Grand Valley State University who are positively impacting the lives of women.

Individuals can be nominated for a variety of awards, including the Maxine Swanson, Positive Black Women Scholarship, Unsung Hero, and Outstanding Student, among others.

The Celebrating Women Awards reception is scheduled to take place on March 29 in the Kirkhof Center Grand River Room.

‘Picture Your Power’ workshop

The Women’s Center will continue its Storytellers Series with a workshop that enables participants to learn more about themselves and their story on Feb. 25.

“Picture Your Power” will be hosted by Randa Elbih, adjunct professor of women, gender and sexuality studies and liberal studies at Grand Valley State University. In her workshop, Elbih will guide participants through a number of different narrative building activities that help them visualize their own story.

The workshop is set to take place from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. in Kirkhof Center Room 2270, located on the Allendale Campus.

Glow in the dark rock climbing free to GV community

Grand Valley State University’s Climbing Center will host a free after-hours climbing session complete with glow-in-the-dark sticks and headlamps on Feb. 26.

Climbers participating in the “Glow Party” will scale the rock wall with only the light from their glow sticks and headlamps to guide them. The Climbing Center is planning to host a number of other undetermined activities the same night.

The event is scheduled to take place at 9 p.m. in the Field House’s Climbing Center (Room 170C). Participants are required to arrive before 9 p.m. or else they will not be allowed in.