Celebrating siblings

Constance Turnbull

On Jan. 30 and 31, children and siblings of Grand Valley State University faculty, staff and students came to the Allendale Campus to celebrate GVSU’s annual Sibs N Kids Weekend.

Sibs N Kids Weekend is one of the university’s most treasured traditions, and it gives family members of of students a chance to experience the Allendale Campus.

This year, participants were able to enjoy a variety of events and activities centered around a superhero theme.

GVSU student Sean O’Melia, the program chair, said he was excited for this year’s event.

“What kid doesn’t want to be a superhero,” he said. “Children will be able to don a cape, meet superheroes and feel special about being on campus.”

The superheroes that were roaming around campus were students who volunteered to dress up. The participants themselves were given capes to wear throughout the activities. These capes were cut and designed by student volunteers.

Superheroes were not the only attraction of the weekend – the Laker Traditions Team arranged for a large variety of activities. Spotlight Productions assembled one of the more popular activities on campus – the exotic zoo.

The zoo, which was held in Kirkhof Room 2270, held a variety of animals including chickens, a bearded dragon, a chinchilla and a baby kangaroo. The arrival of the kangaroo on campus caused excitement not only among the young visitors, but also among the students. Many students, who were not planning to attend any other events, made a point of visiting the kangaroo.

Another hit was the Star Maze Laser Tag.

“My favorite activity was laser tag,” said Mackenza R., a sibling at the event. “Because I ran out of bullets, but it kept playing. Also, it was a lot of fun.”

On Friday, attendees were able to take part in many other activities, including a puppetry show, a glow in the dark dance party and a bounce house. On Saturday, the Traditions Team arranged for dance lessons, rock climbing and even a night out to the downtown YMCA for swimming and water slides.

O’Melia, along with other members of the Laker Traditions Team, was busy the whole weekend. Most of the activities offered required considerable volunteer involvement.

“I hope the children had a marvelous time,” O’Melia said. “Pun absolutely intended.”

Event Coordinator Ashley Grywatcz agreed that the weekend was aimed at giving the children a great time, along with a fantastic impression of college life.

“For many children who will participate, this will be their first time on a college campus,” Grywatcz said. “It is important that we give them the best time possible, through events, activities and quality time with their families.”

It was important that the children got an opportunity to make memories with their families, and the weekend provided opportunities for that, Grywatcz said.

“We installed a photo booth this year so that children could take pictures and capture those memories,” she said.

Sibs N Kids Weekend 2015 was Grywatcz’s first time coordinating the event. While she was very excited for the possibilities the weekend held for the participants, it also held a very personal significance for her.

“My young cousin has just gone through her third round of chemo,” she said. “She is taking part in this weekend with my sister who is a student here.”

This occasion was so special for her family was because her 11-year-old cousin had expressed the thought that she may never actually get to experience a college campus otherwise.

“I just wanted her to be able to see a college campus for the first time, and have the best experience possible while here. She was so excited about staying in the dorms,” Grywatcz said.

While each of the participants had different reasons for taking part in the weekend, it proved to be a great success. With registration numbers surpassing previous years, the hard work from students, faculty and staff paid off.