Have a question? Call 20/20

GVL / Sara Carte

302074041934

GVL / Sara Carte

Meghan McBrady

What time is the Connection open on a snow day? What’s the bus schedule? Are there other intelligent life forms in the universe?

Now, if you don’t know the answers (or if you have any other questions) call Grand Valley State University’s 20/20 Information Desk. Located in the Kirkhof Center, the information desk’s staff is prepared for any general or oddball question that you may throw at them – especially with the growing number of students arriving on campus.

With about 4,100 incoming freshmen attending GVSU for the 2015-2016 school year, the student staff is ready to offer the incoming freshmen information about campus events, West Michigan and resources at GVSU.

“The benefit of the 20/20 desk is the general information we offer for incoming freshmen,” said Lindsey Smith, a staff member at the 20/20 desk. “They don’t know schedules or where to find campus maps or where to eat because everything is different and that can be difficult while living in a new environment.”

Valerie Guzman, the assistant director of student life, leadership and service initiatives, also noted the benefit of the student staff at the 20/20 Desk. She indicated that talking to another student for help will give students an opportunity to engage within GVSU’s vibrant community.

“I think it is such a great resource for them to pick up the phone and talk to another student,” Guzman said. “It’s reassuring for students to ask a knowledgeable resource in a nonjudgmental answer format, as no question is a dumb question.”

While the staff at the 20/20 Desk are willing to answer any question that may be asked, there are times that the student staff is thrown by the occasional odd question.

Ranging from how many bricks are in the Cook Carillon Tower in front of the Kirkhof Center to if it is possible to a ride a horse on campus (you can, but you can’t leave it unattended), these questions usually die down after the first couple weeks of the new semester but are still asked.

“The last weird question I was asked was where Ted Nugent lived,” Kyle Gumbleton said.

Gumbleton has worked at the 20/20 Desk for the last year, indicated that he and the staff frequently get asked the same questions during welcome week.

“For example, say that you lost your student ID and need to replace it,” Gumbleton said. “I would direct you to the Student Services Building, then to the front desk, so that they may print you a new one.”

He also indicated that some of the other frequently asked questions were how often the Grand Valley Police Department is open (Every day, 24/7) and how to find a missing item (Lost and found is usually picked up from the 20/20 desk and then taken to the police station, so the best bet would be to check there).

Gumbleton also noted that students often ask for the campus’s bus schedule.

“It’s pretty easy concept to understand,” Gumbleton said. “The 50, which is the campus connector, runs about every six to seven minutes during the school year, while after six on Fridays and on Saturday and Sunday it is every hour.”

As this a new learning environment, where everything may be confusing at first, it is perfectly acceptable to be scared and to ask for help. For any special or need or guidance, the student staff at the 20/20 desk is there to help students new and old to learn about upcoming events, connect students to other sources and also help them thrive academically and personally on campus.

“20/20 will know what is going on campus, help you take advantage of what is being offered, and will ultimately be that resource that will get you where you need to be,” Guzman said.

For further questions, students can contact the 20/20 Desk via Twitter @GVSU2020 or call the front desk at (616) 331-2020.