New housing option available to students

GVL / Archive
Amy Brinkerhoff

GVL / Archive Amy Brinkerhoff

Katherine West

With the number of students living on campus at Grand Valley State University on the rise, the department of housing and residence life has made a new living option available to students to accommodate increased housing demands.

The 2015-2016 academic year is the first year in which students have had the option to stay in a four-person, two-bedroom apartment style unit on south campus. Prior to this year, these apartments housed strictly two people.

Emma Hahs, freshman cell and molecular biology major, is living in this new housing option this year. Hahs has had a very positive experience living in this dorm style and believes it to be a very beneficial and rewarding experience for first year students.

“It forces you to be courteous and to make a new friend immediately,” Hahs said, “If you want to go hide in your room for escape, you can’t because you are living with someone else!”

Austin Young, also in his first year at GVSU, has enjoyed his experience so far living in the two-bedroom style. He believes the living space to be very functional and meets his needs.

“The living and the kitchen area provide more than enough space to relax and do any cooking that is needed. The bathroom is a decent size. It allows enough room to get ready and not feel crowded. The bedrooms are a little small, but provide enough room to sleep and to be able to do work at your desk,” Young said.

This housing change has overall been viewed as a success by those that chose to live in the new option. Hahs feels as though living in this style apartment has allowed her to get closer to her roommates and would recommend this style of living to any incoming freshman.

Dena Willis, occupancy manager for the department of housing and residence life, said that this type of unit is beneficial to the entire student body regardless of year.

“With the increase of two-bedroom, four-person units in south campus, for many of our returning and upperclassmen students there has been an increase in student engagement and community development on those floors,” Willis said. “Students who, now instead of having their own bedroom, are sharing a bedroom, which allows for more communication between different people. We really are happy about the addition of the two-fours and what they have done for our student population.”

While the housing department has made this major change, they have also kept many policies consistent this year. To promote the safety of all students and to avoid 5 a.m. fire alarms the following items remain prohibited in all on-campus housing units: sandwich makers/grills, hot plates, rice cookers, Crock-Pots, waffle makers, toaster ovens, halogen bulbs or lamps, multi-light lamps with plastic shades, candles/incense, candle warmers, strobe lights, decorative holiday lights, any type of string or rope lights, party lights, lava lamps and black lights. As always, the department of housing and residence life welcomes students to be the proud owner of their favorite non-predatory fish. However, no other types of pets are allowed.