PRINT ONLY Local spins

Maddie Forshee

Grand Rapids:

ArtPrize

ArtPrize is an iconic event and open art competition that happens all over the city of Grand Rapids every fall. This year is the seventh year of the event, which is taking place Sept. 23 through Oct. 11 and will feature over 1,500 works of art from all over the world in over 160 venues across three square miles of the downtown Grand Rapids area. ArtPrize allows for new and experienced visitors to stroll around downtown while checking out local and international art at no cost. For more information, to plan a visit or to check out how to vote, visit www.artprize.org.

Grand Rapids Public Museum

Grand Rapids is the home of plenty of museums that are open to everyone and relatively inexpensive for students. The Grand Rapids Public Museum has an exhibition titled “The Discovery of King Tut,” showcasing the history of King Tut’s life and the discovery of his tomb, as well as providing context for the conversation around the science at the time. The exhibit is in two parts – the actual outer chamber of the tomb of King Tut, and then visitors can enter the second part of the exhibit – the treasure that was buried with the king. In addition to the King Tut exhibit, the museum hosts a Maker Faire Sept. 5, which is all about science, innovation and engineering. To learn more, visit www.grpm.org.

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park

The Meijer Gardens are a great way to enjoy art and nature at the same time. In June, the gardens debuted their much-anticipated Japanese garden, which covers eight acres of tranquil space. There is a Japanese tea house, a zen-style garden, waterfalls, plenty of Japanese plants, flowers, and trees as well as many works of Japanese-inspired art. In addition to the Japanese garden, Meijer Gardens features a tropical conservatory, a plant house and an arid garden. The park holds many events throughout the year. Located on East Beltline, the gardens are only $9 for students. For more information, visit www.meijergardens.org.

Dr. Grins Comedy Club

Dr. Grins Comedy Club is the place to go for big laughs at a low price. Located in The B.O.B., Dr. Grins hosts year-long, weekly comedy shows for around $10. The club is available for everyone 18 and up. On the roster for September is Brian Aldridge, Alonzo Bodden, Pat McGann and Mike Armstrong. Along with Dr. Grins, The B.O.B. offers some of the coolest hangouts in Grand Rapids without even leaving the building. For more information about Dr. Grins Comedy Club, visit www.thebob.com.

Fulton Street Farmers Market

The Fulton Street Farmers Market on 1147 E Fulton Street is one of the largest and oldest farmers markets in Grand Rapids. It’s open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays 8 a.m. through 3 p.m. until December, making it accessible to even those with the craziest of class schedules. Starting in January, the market is open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Regardless of the weather, local farmers, food producers, and craft artists will be at the market. Visiting the farmers market helps connect the community to new members and provides healthy, delicious alternatives to campus food. For more information, visit www.fultonstreetmarket.org.

Allendale:

GVSU Farmers Market

For a break from campus food, Grand Valley State University offers a farmers market every Wednesday this fall until Oct. 28. From 10 a.m. until 1:30 p.m., students can stroll through Parking Lot G while local food vendors and community members showcase their hard work. GVSU offers the farmers market as a way for the GVSU community to connect with the surrounding Allendale community through fresh and wholesome, nutritional food options. Campus Dining provides lunches for market-goers at the farmers market from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. for only $6. There are monthly cooking demonstrations provided by GVSU’s Health and Wellness department at the farmers market. To learn more, visit www.gvsu.edu/farmersmarket.

Yoga at Heart’s Journey

To catch up on much-needed relaxation, head to Heart’s Journey Wellness Center on Lake Michigan Drive in Allendale. The small studio offers counseling as well as many different types of yoga classes and is a great way to take a break from the hectic pace that campus can have. With different levels of yoga classes available, from beginner to advanced, anyone stressed out by classes can take a break from real life and join a class or two. Students get their first class half off, and it’s $9 after that. Memberships are available as well. For more information, visit www.heartsjourneywellness.com.

Walk to End Alzheimer’s

Get involved with the Allendale community while helping a good cause at the Walk to End Alzheimer’s on Sept. 11 at Millennium Park in Walker. Put on by the Alzheimer’s Association, the Walk to End Alzheimer’s is one of the largest events to raise awareness and funds for care, support and research for the disease. For more information, visit the Allendale Chamber of Commerce website at www.allendalechamber.org.

Allendale Triathlon

Allendale’s first triathlon will be held this September. It is truly a community event, with many of the organizers and most of the sponsors hailing from Allendale. The event will be centered around Countryside Greenhouse, with the swim and run portions of the event taking place right on the property. The triathlon expects to see all walks of athletes, from people doing it just for fun to highly competitive athletes training for even bigger events. The triathlon will be held on Sept. 19 and begin promptly from Countryside Greenhouse at 8 a.m. For more information, go to www.allendaletriathlon.com.