SVSU wins BOTV fundraiser for 7th straight year

Alyssa Rettelle

Originally published 11/17/14

Grand Valley State University lost the battle against Saginaw Valley State University this past weekend during the 12th annual Battle of the Valleys fundraising competition.

GVSU ended up raising $7,000 for the Grand Valley Children’s Fund, while SVSU raised $32,000 for the Cory Rivard, Jr. Promise Foundation.

GVSU hasn’t beaten SVSU at fundraising since 2007, when they raised $31,382 for the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital.

Since the Battle of the Valleys began in 2003, the universities have raised over $350,000 for local and national charities that benefit children such as United Way, Make a Wish Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, Special Olympics and S.P.O.R.T.S (Students Providing Opportunities and Recreation Through Sports).

The Grand Valley Children’s Fund was established to assist students and local non-profits who work with children. Donations will continue to go into this non-profit fund throughout the year, and charities can apply for a mini-grant that can be used to fund programs, projects or operational costs for their organization.

Andrew Plague, the president of Student Senate, said the Children’s Fund was created as a way to institutionalize the Battle of the Valleys giving. The Children’s Fund Board is made up of the Student Senate executive vice president, students, staff and faculty.

“Instead of choosing a charity each year and donating what we raise to that, we will raise money for this fund,” Plague said. “The Children’s Fund really allows for greater learning and engagement, both for the students making the funding decisions and for the students potentially applying for funding.”

SVSU raised money for the Cory Rivard, Jr. Promise Foundation, which seeks to educate college students about depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses by working directly with college campuses to increase suicide awareness and prevention. Cory Rivard, Jr., committed suicide in January 2011 and had attended GVSU.

From Nov. 9 through Nov. 15, there were events ranging from bingo to scavenger hunts, auctions to bake sales, all of which helped raise money for the event. After a week of fundraising, Battle of the Valleys ended with GVSU’s final football game of the season vs. SVSU. The GVSU football team went on to win the game 21 to 3.