Laker Experience Day welcomes 800 potential Lakers

Ashlyn Korienek

While becoming a high school senior is already a huge transition, deciding on where to apply and spend a college career can be a whole new experience – one requiring a lot of information.

More than 800 potential Lakers gathered at Grand Valley State University at 11 a.m. in the Fieldhouse Oct. 8 for Laker Experience Day. With multiple factors to consider, students have the chance to experience Laker life during this event and decide on programs for possible application.

Jodi Chycinski, director of admissions, said the event was hosted by the admissions office and supported through involvement from numerous departments around campus. She said the departments make themselves available to students and parents during the event for questions and additional information.

“Laker Experience Day is an opportunity for prospective high school students and their families to visit GVSU and learn about the academic programs and services available to them as an undergraduate student at GVSU,” Chycinski said.

The event began with a presentation on GVSU along with a video on the community and opportunities. Academic programs, application and scholarship deadlines were highlighted for students.

From there, students had the opportunity to learn more about academic disciplines at GVSU with more than 50 information tables. Chycinski said the majority of the attendees were high school seniors; however, another opportunity is offered in the spring and high school juniors may attend as well.

“Some students visiting have applied but have not visited the campus at all,” she said. “Others use the experience to decide if GVSU is a college that they are interested in applying to and attending next fall.”

Melanie Retberg, associate director of admissions, said students who attended were able to talk with faculty members, student services, current GVSU students and take tours around the campus. Separate presentations were provided to students hosted by departments such as the College of Education or the nursing program.

“Laker Experience Day is intended to help students discover why Grand Valley State University might be a great fit,” Retberg said. “We think it’s a great way for students to experience all that Grand Valley has to offer.”

In addition, the tours gave groups of 20 to 25 students the chance to circle the campus taking in the GVSU atmosphere. Chycinski said tour groups depend on the attendance during the event.

In the spring, GVSU can expect about 700 to 900 students for the second Laker Experience Day event. She said Laker Experience Day is important because a campus visit, for either juniors and seniors, can widely affect whether a student decides to enroll in a university.

For more information, contact the admissions office at (616) 331-2025 or [email protected].