Art Briefs 4/13

Stress and Sleep Screenings
While deadlines and finals are slowly approaching, the pressure might be ruining your sleeping schedule and causing unneeded stress.

The Counseling Center at Grand Valley State University will be holding free and confidential stress and sleep screenings Wednesday, April 19, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Mary Idema Pew Library on the Allendale Campus.

GVSU counselors will be handing out brief surveys designed to help students gain awareness of their stress and sleep-related concerns and come up with a game plan.

LAS Dance Workshop at GV

As the end of the semester slowly approaches, students are scrambling to finish projects and papers before finals and graduation. However, the Latin American and Latino/a studies program at Grand Valley State University invites students to take time away from work during the “LAS Dance Workshop.”

The event Friday, April 14, at 1 p.m. will take place at the Frederik Meijer Honors College, where students can learn to salsa and other Latin American dance moves with Social Dance Studio. For more information, contact David Stark at [email protected].

‘Excellence Series: Turning Your Inner Critic to a Career Champion’

Presented by Kim Monaghan, a career consultant with Grand Valley State University’s Human Resources, the “Turning Your Inner Critic to a Career Champion” talk challenges what it means to channel your inner critic and face difficult questions that could harm your career.

If managed correctly, Monaghan believes this inner “voice” can be a force for positive change. This workshop Tuesday, April 18, in the Kirkhof Center’s Room 2270 will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

The event will help students identify ways to formulize change will build their confidence. In addition, students will explore how to locate their “inner critic’s fraudulent behavior” and create success.

Those interested should register at www.gvsu.edu/sprout. Contact Human Resources at [email protected] for more details.

GVSU Surplus Store to hold open hours

Selling reused and repurposed items to students, faculty and the Grand Rapids community, the Grand Valley State University Surplus Store will hold open hours Wednesday, April 19, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Many repurposed and used university items will be sold in store and online for less than the original price. Anything from a Apple products, to furniture and even office supplies can be found at this sale.

General public without a GVSU parking pass can park in the Watson Lot, after notifying the attendant. Faculty, staff and students with the appropriate parking pass are permitted in all designated GVSU lots. Students without a pass are encouraged to park at the meters.